_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
Radome tan?
phil2015
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 502 posts
AeroScale: 110 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 27, 2020 - 07:09 AM UTC
I have a bottle of Mr Color Radome (318). This is a very flesh color (a lot of pink in it). Is that what radome tan looks like? I ended up substituting AK Real Colors Russian Yellow Gray.
Kevlar06
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
AeroScale: 833 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 27, 2020 - 08:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have a bottle of Mr Color Radome (318). This is a very flesh color (a lot of pink in it). Is that what radome tan looks like? I ended up substituting AK Real Colors Russian Yellow Gray.

Testors also sold a “radome tan”, but it was closer to a true “tan“ color With a bit of red in it. I think it depends on who’s making it, what they’re trying to represent, and the time frame it’s in. Having looked inside a couple of radomes over the course of my experience, it really depends on the manufacturer of the real item. Some radomes are indeed made of a “fiberglass like” plastic material, which in fact is a tan color. Others are made of a clear Perspex material. And I’ve seen others that range in color from a light gray to a light reddish brown color.
VR, Russ
phil2015
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 502 posts
AeroScale: 110 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 27, 2020 - 08:52 AM UTC

Thanks Russ.

This is for a Vietnam era Phantom. I have a color photo of the plane I'm doing and it's a very pale tan color so that's what I went with. But I was interested in exactly what you had to say, so thanks!
 _GOTOTOP