_GOTOBOTTOM
Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: Siege of Malta WW2 Campaign
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
AeroScale: 2,904 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2020 - 09:36 AM UTC
Welcome to the Siege of Malta, WW2 Campaign and thanks to Phil2015 for leading it!

The campaign will run from 1 October, 2020 through 1 October, 2021.

If you haven't signed up yet, or want to see the rules, go here.

Please post your initial and in-progress photos as well as campaign discussion in this thread. Please post your finished build photos in the campaign gallery.

Looking forward to some great builds honoring the memory of those who fought for Malta in World War 2!

Michael
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2020 - 09:48 AM UTC
Glad you posted, thought I'd enlisted, but it hadn't taken. I'm now. Planning a Martin Baltimore of No.69(?) Squadron that flew Recon missions during the siege. Might need some help on RAF squadron markings and roundels.
phil2015
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 502 posts
AeroScale: 110 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2020 - 09:53 AM UTC

w00t

thanks for starting this thread, Michael!

I've ordered an MC200. I'm not sure it will be my final entry for the campaign, but I intend to use it to figure out how to do funky Italian camo.

Can't wait to see the contributions here!
SteveAndrews
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 693 posts
AeroScale: 551 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2020 - 11:32 PM UTC
Hi guys,

This is my first campaign entry and I'm kicking off with this:

With Michael's permission the Spit' I'm entering was based on Malta in 1943 and it has the unusual blue/grey and dark earth markings you can just see in the ExtraDecals sheet.

I'm hoping it will be fun despite a few well-referenced problems with this kit.

I'm excited to be part of the group and to see what you guys are going to do.

Bye for now,

Steve.

Totalize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 743 posts
AeroScale: 151 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 01, 2020 - 12:57 AM UTC
Nice.

I think I will join in.
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
AeroScale: 2,904 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 01, 2020 - 02:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi guys,

With Michael's permission the Spit' I'm entering was based on Malta in 1943 and it has the unusual blue/grey and dark earth markings you can just see in the ExtraDecals sheet.

Steve.

Steve,

It's Phil's campaign, so I'll leave that decision to him.

Michael
phil2015
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 01, 2020 - 02:34 AM UTC
I think that will be fine, Steve. The focus of the campaign is the siege of Malta which ended a little earlier, but since your plane was based on Malta, I think it will be fine.
SteveAndrews
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, October 01, 2020 - 02:50 AM UTC
Thanks for confirming Phil, and sorry for asking the wrong person. I saw Michael's name at the top of the post and drew the wrong conclusion.
Sleepwalker71
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 265 posts
AeroScale: 72 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 01, 2020 - 03:07 AM UTC
Here is my entry: Bristol Beaufighter Mk IV from 272 Squadron, Malta 1942. It is a Tamiya kit in 1/48 scale. Camouflage like on the box art. Actual photo of this plane shows it heavily weathered, in some places almost to the bare metal.

McRunty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 602 posts
AeroScale: 43 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 01, 2020 - 11:05 AM UTC
I will be building the Trumpeter 1/350 HMS Zulu for the campaign. She was present on several convoys to Malta before being sunk by aircraft in September 1942.

I will be making several modifications to her since the kit is for a 1941 configuration and she underwent a refit before service in the med. The kit also has several well documented issues (wrong boats, sheer on the bow, wrong version of the pom-pom) which will be corrected.

stoney
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 480 posts
AeroScale: 67 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 01, 2020 - 11:15 AM UTC
I think Ive got a workable idea, im in
phil2015
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 01, 2020 - 11:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I will be building the Trumpeter 1/350 HMS Zulu for the campaign. She was present on several convoys to Malta before being sunk by aircraft in September 1942.

I will be making several modifications to her since the kit is for a 1941 configuration and she underwent a refit before service in the med. The kit also has several well documented issues (wrong boats, sheer on the bow, wrong version of the pom-pom) which will be corrected.

That's going to be great!

YankeeSteve
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 52 posts
AeroScale: 51 posts
Posted: Friday, October 02, 2020 - 01:45 AM UTC
Siege of Malta Campaign - Pt 1: USS Wasp's Wildcats for Spitfire delivery.

SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Friday, October 02, 2020 - 11:01 AM UTC
I am entering with the good old Ark Royal. Part of several convoys to Malta and also went to the bottom in the sea close to Gibraltar.
I will be using the old airfix kit. I remember building this kit 30 years ago. It will be a trip down memory lane. I trust I can do it more justice this time around.

Looking forward to get started
SteveAndrews
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, October 05, 2020 - 07:19 AM UTC
Hi guys,

I'm not sure about the protocol on these campaigns but I thought I would show some early progress on the Spitfire Vb.

I've started out tackling a few of the problems. If I get these sorted first there's less chance of getting frustrated later.

Problem number 1 is the covers for the gun bays. They're not a great fit and they are moulded in clear plastic which makes judging the alignment tricky. To get around this I sprayed the parts in a random sand-grey colour (it could have been anything) and then tried test fitting. With some sanding and fiddling about I eventually got a good enough fit but there's a bit more to do until I'm satisfied.

Problem 2 is the seat. It's too simple and there are important details missing; most obviously the hole in the seat back and the prominent padded part. So, I drilled and sanded out the hole and used plastic card to add more emphasis to the padding.

How are you guys getting on? There are a lot of interesting kits in the mix here.

Happy modelling,

Steve.
phil2015
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, October 05, 2020 - 10:04 AM UTC

Nice additions, Steve. I'm a little puzzled why they would mold those covers in clear plastic?

My kit is on its way to me, I'm told.
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Monday, October 05, 2020 - 10:47 AM UTC
Great starts everyone!
Some really cool builds.

Once I've got a few things finished I'll start mine. I'm thinking of doing an SM.79, but if Airfix's Beaufort arrives I'm tempted to do that.
Still got to start the Phantom campaign too, so a busy few months are in store.
McRunty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
Posted: Monday, October 05, 2020 - 03:40 PM UTC
Started work on HMS Zulu. First things first is to fix the bow sheer. I was tempted to just leave it but when I compared the kit to pictures, the bow just looked wrong.

I made a wedge for the tip of the bow that sits about 3mm above where the deck would normally go. I then reinforced underneath with strips of plast-card. Once everything was cured and rock solid I trimmed the card down and built up the side of the hull with further strips of plasti-card and putty.

Just a bit more sanding to do. I am not entirely happy with it as the raise in the deck needed to start a bit farther back but it will do.

I also took the liberty of moving the hawse pipes up 3mm. Looking back I think I could have down this in a much easier way. Something to consider if I ever build another one.

SteveAndrews
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, October 05, 2020 - 11:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice additions, Steve. I'm a little puzzled why they would mold those covers in clear plastic?

Hi Phil,

Yes it's an odd decision. The gun bays are detailed so I guess in theory it's possible to fit the clear parts and still see the guns and ammo underneath. I'm not sure that's a route many modellers would actually take. My feeling is that folks would prefer an authentic look and simply leave the covers off if they wanted to display the guns.

Have a good day,

Steve

phil2015
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 06, 2020 - 01:54 AM UTC

Nice work, Rory. I'll remember that technique. What kind of putty do you use for that kind of work?

McRunty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 06, 2020 - 04:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice work, Rory. I'll remember that technique. What kind of putty do you use for that kind of work?

For this I used a combination of the standard grey Tamiya putty and gel superglue. The Tamiya for the bulk filler and the Gel on the outside edges to make everything hard and to sand nice sharp lines. Not the best method but its what I had on hand.
d6mst0
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,925 posts
AeroScale: 15 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 07, 2020 - 06:13 AM UTC
Rory,

Nice start. I wasn't aware of the issue with the bow when I built my HMS Zulu. I did the other mods and added the 4.7cm AA gun and 40mm. I didn't have much references to work with so I missed the bow. I did lower the second funnel and move the depth charge launchers, but I sure I could have done more.

I have to get my entry for this build posted.

Mark
McRunty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 07, 2020 - 06:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I did lower the second funnel and move the depth charge launchers, but I sure I could have done more.

How much of the funnel did you take out?
Removed by original poster on 10/07/20 - 19:29:39 (GMT).
d6mst0
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,925 posts
AeroScale: 15 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 07, 2020 - 07:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I did lower the second funnel and move the depth charge launchers, but I sure I could have done more.

How much of the funnel did you take out?

Rory,

I don't have the paperwork from White Ensign anymore but I believe it was 3mm. I checked the model and the secondary funnel is 3mm shorter that the forward funnel.

Mark
 _GOTOTOP