_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
AH-1W Cobra question
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 12:03 PM UTC
Does anyone know if it is possible to mix weapons on the AH-1W. Specifically would it be possible to load TOW on one pylon and Hellfire on the pylon on the other side at the same time. If not, which weapon type was more common on USMC AH-1W in ODS, TOW or Hellfire?
Whiskey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
AeroScale: 252 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 03:15 PM UTC
Most Whiskey Cobra's operate with the 12 shot rocket pods on both inboard pylons while the two outboard pylons have 4 TOW's on one side with 4 Hellfire's on another. Doesnt matter what side the guided weapons are on, just make sure they are on the outboards.
RotorHead67
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,174 posts
AeroScale: 226 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 03:18 PM UTC
You can mix the load, but why.
The Hellfire system out performs the Tow so this weapon has better kill ratio.
But it also comes down to mission requirements concerning weight.. The Hellfire is a heavier missle so a compromise must be taken into account.
The AH-1W is equipped to carry all current Tank weapons as well as air to air. ie Stinger,
Sidewinder, Just follow your pics to make the loadout correct. Todd
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, April 26, 2004 - 05:43 AM UTC
During ODS Marine AH-1Ws did not have the capability to Lase for the Hellfires from the aircraft and didn't always have a ground observer to Lase either, that is why they still used TOW. I thought I saw a photo of one with both and that is how I oufitted my MRC version and wanted to make sure it was historically accurate. Army Cobras still used TOW at that time too.
Whiskey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, April 26, 2004 - 02:41 PM UTC
The Hellfire outperforms the TOW in range and some other minor areas but in all the TOW is still regarded as the best anti-tank missile on a helicopter, at least thats what Cobra jocks will tell you. TOWs can be used in any type of weather since it is wire-guided whereas the Hellfire is laser-guided. Basically sand storms, snow, etc. can interfere with the laser guidance system and make it go haywire.

Gino are you wanting to do a ODS Cobra or a more modern one?
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, April 26, 2004 - 04:09 PM UTC
I've already completed an AH-1W circa ODS and wanted to confirm the weapons layout was correct. Here it is, sandwiched between a 1/32 OH-58C and another AH-1W in Israeli livery. The TOW mount is on the right side pylon.
RotorHead67
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, April 26, 2004 - 11:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I've already completed an AH-1W circa ODS and wanted to confirm the weapons layout was correct. Here it is, sandwiched between a 1/32 OH-58C and another AH-1W in Israeli livery. The TOW mount is on the right side pylon.

Nice Pic!!
But the Israelis never took delivery of the W super cobra. They only got the F and S .
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 02:36 AM UTC
I have been told about the Israeli "W" already, but I like how it looks. I'm going to leave it as is. It is not actually a true "W" anyways since it was made from left over parts when I kitbashed the MRC "W" and the Revell "G" models to build a US Army "S" model.
Whiskey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 06:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have been told about the Israeli "W" already, but I like how it looks. I'm going to leave it as is. It is not actually a true "W" anyways since it was made from left over parts when I kitbashed the MRC "W" and the Revell "G" models to build a US Army "S" model.

What did you make? An S-MOD? Those things are bad to the bone but not enough to ruin a nice 1/32 G model. Especially since no one makes a G in any scale larger than 1/72.
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 07:43 AM UTC
Yes, I made a US Army "S" model with flat pane canopy. I have a few of the Revell G models, so it isn't so hard to use one for conversion. I hear that Revell is reissuing the old, 1/32 G model as well. Lets hope so.
Whiskey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 10:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yes, I made a US Army "S" model with flat pane canopy. I have a few of the Revell G models, so it isn't so hard to use one for conversion. I hear that Revell is reissuing the old, 1/32 G model as well. Lets hope so.

Oh a flat-plate S. Those are called or used to be called S-PRODs, or S-productions. They were completly new aircraft and came with the flat-plate canopy. The one I was referring to and what I thought you built was an S-MOD, or S-modification. These were G model Cobras updated with the new avionics, engine, and weapon systems of the production variant. The only difference that you could tell from looking at it was that the S-MOD still retained the round canopy like the G.

Got any pics there Gino of you S?
Whiskey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 10:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

[
Oh a flat-plate S. Those are called or used to be called S-PRODs, or S-productions. They were completly new aircraft and came with the flat-plate canopy. The one I was referring to and what I thought you built was an S-MOD, or S-modification. These were G model Cobras updated with the new avionics, engine, and weapon systems of the production variant. The only difference that you could tell from looking at it was that the S-MOD still retained the round canopy like the G.

Got any pics there Gino of you S?

Whoops, kinda sent out a little wrong info there. The S-MODs and PRODs still had the T-53-L-13 Lycoming engine, not the L-703 like I said it was. Also all the S models did not have the 20mm M197 gun system but they still had the redesignated M28 system, which was the mini-gun and the nade launcher.
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 03:16 PM UTC
Ask and you shall receive. Here are some photos of the "S" model.

Whiskey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 10:06 AM UTC
Didnt you have a lot of scale issues and fit problems being as you used two kits of different scale?
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 10:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Didnt you have a lot of scale issues and fit problems being as you used two kits of different scale?

Yes I did, lots of sanding and trimming to get the 1/32 G down to 1/35 scale. I basically used the G model tail boom, engine necelle areas, and lower area under the cockpit. From the W kit, I used the upper cockpit area and cockpit, nose (squared off), skid area, and center section above the skids up to the engine bulges. It is not perfect, if you look at the tail boom from the port side, you will see it is not perfectly straight, however, starboard side looks straight. It is close enough for me though.
RotorHead67
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, July 02, 2004 - 06:26 PM UTC
COBRAS,
Here is my entry to the "pit of snakes". This is my US AH-1S version, 1/48 th, and I am currently working on an Israeli AH-1S/F..... will post when its done.

Any comments welcomed.!!!
 _GOTOTOP