_GOTOBOTTOM
Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Overlord 2004 : Progress on my P-51B Mustang
bytepilot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Karnataka, India / भारत
KitMaker: 381 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 04:21 PM UTC
Howdy folks!!

I got started on my kit at last. Here's what I've completed so far. More detail photos are available at my Gallery link

Constructive feedback welcome... !!

Cheers, BP
brandydoguk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,495 posts
AeroScale: 643 posts
Posted: Friday, April 30, 2004 - 12:37 AM UTC
Looking good so far BP. It might be a good idea to do a bit of drybrushing on the black radio equipment behind the pilot's seat to make the detail stand out a bit more? Neat painting on the cockpit dials, I wish I had a steady enough hand to paint that neatly.
USArmy2534
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,716 posts
AeroScale: 246 posts
Posted: Friday, April 30, 2004 - 04:24 AM UTC
I would also say that drybrushing the wheel wheel with some black and brown (oil, dirt) and maybe some silver for chipped paint. Great start.
bytepilot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Karnataka, India / भारत
Posted: Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 04:24 PM UTC
Hi folks,

thanks for the feedback so far.

Martin, yes, I took your advice and d/b'd the areas behind the seat. It came out quite well. But sadly, it won't be visible, even thru the side windows!

And Jeff, yep, am planning to dirty up the wheels with a wash near the end...

BTW, I have finished the painting of the a/c yesterday. Will put up some pics tonite. Will be giving it a coat of Future for the washes too. Am not very sure if I need to paint the invasion stripes area, so that the decals will not show the underlying paint.

AFAIK, Academy decals are quite thin, and tend to show the under-areas all to well. Otherwise, I'm planning to lay down a strip of white decal below first, and then lay on the kit decals on top. Let's see!

At this rate, I thik I should have my kit finished by the middle of next week. However, the rains have come down pretty early and heavily this year in South India. So it may take some time to dry out..

Cheers,
BP.
bytepilot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Karnataka, India / भारत
Posted: Friday, May 07, 2004 - 02:07 PM UTC
Well, as promised, here are some piccies of my progress. As you can see, quite a lot of decaling has been finished !!

Two more pics are available at my . Gallery link

More laterz. Am going out of station for the next two days. Will complete the decaling by Monday I guess !!

Cheers,
BP.
brandydoguk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,495 posts
AeroScale: 643 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 08, 2004 - 12:21 AM UTC
You have really made good progress there BP. Looks excellent. Did you put a strip of white decal down before the invasion stripes as you were thinking of doing? I've always avoided doing aircraft with invasion stripes, I'm not good enough to paint them and large decals don't seem to like me, they always wrinkle up on me when I use decal solutions. Yours look perfect.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 08, 2004 - 08:40 AM UTC
Hi there BP

Nice job! Rains or not, you're way ahead of me!

Check in with Dave - he's keeping a tally of who's still in the Overlord build.

All the best

Rowan
bytepilot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Karnataka, India / भारत
Posted: Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 04:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

You have really made good progress there BP. Looks excellent.

Thank you, thank you !

Quoted Text

Did you put a strip of white decal down before the invasion stripes as you were thinking of doing?

Nope, I didn't.. I thought I'd take a chance, since it would mean using up some of my precious white decal paper(it's pretty expensive to get this stuff imported here ). But the Academy decals are fantastic... The invasion stripes are simply superb.. not a bit of the ground olive drab paint to be seen!
But I do have a gripe against the damned USAF star decals on the sheet . They turned out to be translucent, and so are showing the black strip behind. Oh well, looks like I'll have to have a go at my white decal paper to cover this gaffe up...:-)!

Quoted Text

I've always avoided doing aircraft with invasion stripes, I'm not good enough to paint them and large decals don't seem to like me, they always wrinkle up on me when I use decal solutions. Yours look perfect.

It's not that tough. There's an excellent tut on IPMS Stockholm on how to paint inv stripes on a plane. I tried this out on a dummy kit, and it came out quite well. Try it out if you like:
http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/1999/09/stuff_eng_tech_stripes.htm
I used a basecoat of Future before I started off on the decal, only on the decal areas. Afterwards, even the decal was given a drag thru a small puddle of Future while still on the backing sheet. This ensured the absolute settling down of the decal, and so it became my slave ;-)! And I don't use decal settling solutions either, altho I'm looking at the use of diluted vinegar in the future. That's for another day!!

Cheers,
BP.
lestweforget
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 2,832 posts
AeroScale: 224 posts
Posted: Monday, May 10, 2004 - 12:29 AM UTC
Looking nice, cheers
 _GOTOTOP