_GOTOBOTTOM
Modern (1975-today)
Discuss the modern aircraft age from 1975 thru today.
Canopy replacment advice anyone?
powerlogik
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 216 posts
AeroScale: 41 posts
Posted: Friday, April 30, 2004 - 04:08 AM UTC
Hey all....
I made a fairly big mistake tonight while adding photoetch detailing to the main canopy of a Revell 1:32 Tornado GR. Mk1 RAF (04705) resulting in a horrible section of glue damaged clear plastic. While i have read and will have a go at a few suggestions listed in the canopy tips thread I'd like to ask about replacing the canopy completelly. I've checked out http://www.revell-monogram.com/broken/ but suspect this kit originated and may only be available through Revell Germany (i'm a little confused to the difference) as this page asks for a 4 digit product number....mine has 5!! Also that site will only send replacement parts to the US or canada which means i'm stuck there aswell. So....anyone here with some pointers or suggestions of where i can start my search for replacing this canopy??? I'd prefere not to have to buy another full kit.

cheers
stugiiif
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,434 posts
AeroScale: 403 posts
Posted: Friday, April 30, 2004 - 04:45 AM UTC
One item to use would be Squadron Thermaform clear plastic sheets. With these you heat the plastic over a candle or opther heat source then pulle over the peice you wish copy. Thus getting a new clear part. Another trick would be to sand the offending area till the glue is gone then use a polishing product like Nexus Plastic Polish. But, but this time remember to use Future (Klear in the UK ) to protect your canopy from misting when using CA glue. HTH STUG
Teacher
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,924 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, April 30, 2004 - 05:23 AM UTC
Surely one of the guys on here living in the states would obtain one and forward it if asked?

Vinnie
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Friday, April 30, 2004 - 08:41 AM UTC
When I had parts missing from a Revell He111 I sent the product code, cut from the box, and the instructions, to the importers, as requested, and received the parts within 2 weeks. I'm sure using the same system you could purchase a new canopy ( or beg for a replacement :-) )
Mal
powerlogik
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 216 posts
AeroScale: 41 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 25, 2004 - 04:44 PM UTC
Ok here's my update. I wrote via email to a couple of hobby shops in Australia about my dilemma. I asked if posible to order a couple of replacments...just so i got a spare handy One shop didn't even reply but another has enquired with the manufacturer and received delivery of 2 canopies. They are currrently on their way to me. Pretty happy about that really. For any Aussies looking for great service from a local store (and of course intl people too) check them out at http://www.frontlinehobbies.com.au

I'm back on the flightpath again

Oh yeah.....to make this process more defined for the people trying to track down the parts i took a few pics.....one of the box art.....one of my damaged canopy....and one showing the sprue from the instructions. This combined with my email confirming product number, part number and part type seems to have done the trick nicelly. The total cost was only about AU$8 to have 2 canopies posted to me.
 _GOTOTOP