_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
1/35th scale Helicopter kits
TreadHead
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
AeroScale: 370 posts
Posted: Friday, April 30, 2004 - 08:07 AM UTC
Howdy all,

Just a quick note to ask the 'wingy thingy' guys here if they've ever heard of the 1/35th scale Heller/Humbrol Exocet helo kit? It apparently is an "Aircraft of the World" series kit. It looks quite a bit like our CH-53 series of rotary wing aircraft.
The reason I ask is because my LHS has just put one out (from a private collectors stash) on clearance at $25.99. And since most 1/35th helo kits are at least twice that, I was wondering if it was a good kit?
To be honest the 'Heller' part is the thing that makes me hesitate.
TIA

Tread.
Frenchy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
AeroScale: 12 posts
Posted: Friday, April 30, 2004 - 08:52 AM UTC
Hi Tread
I'm no helo expert but the Aerospatiale SA 321 G Super Frelon (Super Hornet in english ) is the biggest chopper ever used by the French Navy (not the Army), and a few other countries like Israel. AFAIK the kit had been initially released in the 80s. According to what I have read the kit is quite OK and I've seen several super detailed models in contest reports. A reworked and updated kit has been released by Heller last month (at about $60...)

Frenchy
stugiiif
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,434 posts
AeroScale: 403 posts
Posted: Friday, April 30, 2004 - 01:45 PM UTC
Tread,
Where i've never heard of that specific kit, I find deals like that hard to pass up. I personnaly pick up real old Hasagawa kits here in Japan when I find them real cheap. These kits are in no way up to Hasagawa's standards that we are used to today. However I like the Darn things. Now like one I got yesterday. The kits will remain Nameless, but the rarity even when the was in production was enough to raise the price back in the '80s to over $100( this didn't take into account the pewter landing gear, PE cockpit details, and other "NICE" additions in the kit.) My major problem is do you build it or save it for the kids college fund? So for me if there's chance to get a nice old kit I'd grab it and run for the kit stash. STUG
TreadHead
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, April 30, 2004 - 01:49 PM UTC
Thanks stug,

I think I'll let the 'Gods' decide........if it's still there tomorrow, it's mine.

Tread.

Heck, can't pass up something the size of a CH-53 in 1/35th can I!
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Friday, April 30, 2004 - 01:56 PM UTC
Check out these threads over at FSM. They are by a guy building the Super Frelon as a US Coast Guard bird.

Super Frelon 1
Super Frelon 2 Super Frelon 3
TreadHead
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, April 30, 2004 - 02:26 PM UTC
Wow Gino,

Thank you very much for that link! Only problem now is, that now I'm all excited about getting it! Now I'm hoping the "God's" are working with me, and not against me!

It sounds like a pretty darn nice kit. And the gent who's building one seems to be having a good time doing it.......nice. Now I just have to hope the bloody thing is still there in the morning. I actually began to call down there (my LHS) to tell 'em to put it aside for me, but they're already closed for the evening.{........foot tapping......}

Anyway, many thx again for the link! Keep your fingers crossed for me.

Tread.

Oh. And in case anyone else wants an idea of what the beastie looks like......here ya go.

Tread.
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, April 30, 2004 - 04:00 PM UTC
I built the kit a long time ago myself. Great kit. The rotor blades are molded with separate hinge details too, so you can fold the rotors for ship board ops too. That is how I did mine, folded rotors and tail. Check here to see how it is folded. folded rotors
TreadHead
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 08:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks stug,

I think I'll let the 'Gods' decide........if it's still there tomorrow, it's mine.

Tread.

Heck, can't pass up something the size of a CH-53 in 1/35th can I!

UPDATE!!

I ran by my LHS this morning (about 10 minutes after they opened) to see if they still had the Super Frelon. I looked where it had been sitting and 'Poof!'.....it wasn't there......

But!......I looked around a wee bit more and back in the regular AC section (the kit had been sitting in the 'Clearance!' rack), there she was!! Apparently somebody had moved it, and stuck it back in the 'regular' aisle under a bunch of other boxes trying to hide it I guess (kinda hard to do when the box is that big!)

So, I picked it up for $25.99.....hopefully that's a good price (since the original sticker is gone). But what I can say (and HeavyArty, you probably remember) is this kit is HUGE!
I mean, just think of a U.S. Super Stallion helo in 1/35th scale!
Now, I just need some suggestions as to a proper setting for it. I was thinking of an Isreali version maybe...........

Tread.
GN
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 24 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 01:05 PM UTC
Tread,

It would be a blast to see some pics of that beast of yours in the future. Just qurious, are gonna by yourself a bigger house/apartment now

Cheers
EW
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 01:27 PM UTC
Tread,
Glad you were able to get the big bird. I did mine in French Navy colors and markings from the kit. You could use it in almost any setting though. It was/is used all over the world. French N. Africa with Academy Foreign Legion figures would be cool.
TreadHead
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 02:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Tread,
Glad you were able to get the big bird. I did mine in French Navy corors and markings from the kit. You could use it in almost any setting though. It was/is used all over the world. French N. Africa with Academy Foreign Legion figures would be cool.

Many thx Gino for the good word. I feel pretty excited about it, the thing is massive! I don't suppose you have any pics of your build-up do you? I mean, being a TamiyaCon winner, AND a builder of the Frelon I just gotta ask , right?
Do you have any links, or know of any sites I can visit for reference pics/info regarding the different 'war paint' options?
TIA.

Tread.

Oh, to EnsignWanker. The answer is "No" to getting a bigger house. But. It certainly looks like I'll need a bigger shelf! :-)
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 03:43 PM UTC
Tread,
I did a Google Image Search for "Super Frelon" and came up with about 500 Photos. That should be enough to get you started. Check here - SA 312 Suer Frelon Images
And about 7500 hits for Websites. Here you go: SA 312 Suer Frelon Web Sites

Here is mine, enjoy:

mikeli125
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,595 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 08:11 PM UTC
also the trumpeter mil8 is due out in the next month or too now that will be BIG! also have a look out for the old matchbox puma that was in 1/32 scale and is supposed to be very well detailed and a nice build
TreadHead
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 03:31 AM UTC
Howdy fella's,

to Gino: Many thx for both the links, and the pics. She looks awesome! I really want to start on mine, but my plate is sooooo full already I'd probably pull out what little hair I have left! But when I do, I hope to do it the justice you've done yours.
I'll be cruising the links you provided for reference pics. I've already found a extremely nice walkaround (the pic below is one of them), and I hope to find more with thelinks you provided.

to mikeli: Yeah, been waiting for it. But, the one I'm really waiting on is the Panda Chinook! Yeah, yeah.....I know, promise's promise's right? But I'm hoping for a nice surprise this summer from our folk's at Panda. Now, a Chinook in 1/35th would be pushing the envelope of both box size and shelf size!!
Another one that still has a few tattered remnants of hope attached for me is the NightFlight 1/35th Stallion series of models they've been working on since Mr. Tamiya was a teenager....I still have a standing order with them.

Tread.

As a parting shot, here's a picture of the Super Frelon's main rotor mast. Now how's this for a 'super-detailers' nightmare???? "Eeeeeaaaaaahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!|:(

This would keep ya busy....huh?
Muzz
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 50 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 04:17 AM UTC
Have fun mate! :-)

Let us know how you get on with that rotor head assembly! (Hopefully wont take you too long!)

P.S Rather you than me...
Frenchy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Rhone, France
Posted: Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 06:47 AM UTC
Considering the authors that have posted messages in this tread I was wondering if the Aircraft forum has turned into an Armor/AFV forum #2.... Maybe the moderators should do something about this ?

Frenchy ( happy to see a discussion about a French kit of a French subject once in a while...)
TreadHead
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 08:41 AM UTC
Howdy fellas,

to Muzz: Now, I know I've been getting a 'rep' lately for going overboard with the rivet-counting as of late (my Sherman thread/comments), but, if you think for an instant that I'm going to go THIS far in a quest to "do it right".....well, you've got another think coming mate!
Ya gotta remember (if you read my threads), I said the "appearance" of accuracy, not actual accuracy! :-)
But, just for the record, I do intend to add quite a bit of 'plumbing' to my rotor head, it's one of the things I usually do anyway. Besides, I've got to pay proper homage to the 'Jesus Nut' God don't I?? (the rotor heads out there will know what I'm talking about )

to Frenchy: {said in my best "French' affection}......"How you say? But of course!" :-) :-)
Actually Frenchy, our good member Gino (HeavyArty) made an interesting suggestion as far as the Super Frelon's 'war paint' is concerned. If you read the whole thread he suggested French N.Africa and Foriegn Legion markings. Since you are from that part of the world (France, not N.Africa ), I was wondering if you had any info regarding the French Foriegn Legion markings for this bird? I'm waffling between something IAF, or...........?

Tread.

P.S......us armour guys like 'wingy thingies' too ya know. :-)
Frenchy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Rhone, France
Posted: Monday, May 03, 2004 - 12:15 AM UTC
Hi Tread
According to the meagre references I have, the only French user of the Super Frelon was the Aeronavale. The Army ( and the Legion as well) uses the AS 332 Super Puma. So a French camouflaged Super Frelon (other than a Blue and White one) would be rather hypothetical...But other colorful options are possible, apart from Israel : South Africa, China, Libya (hum...) and Iraq (hum hum ) have also bought this bird.

Frenchy
PS : I have began modeling building "wingy thingies" ...many years ago, so I think we're on the same wavelength
TreadHead
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, May 03, 2004 - 02:10 AM UTC
Howdy Frenchy,

Thx for the intel. I guess I'll just keep looking for a likely set of 'clothes' for this big bird. That shouldn't be much of a problem since I've got some time.

In the meantime, I found this intriguing example of a Super Frelon painted up to definitely catch the eye!

Not that I'm considering this type of paintjob, but I thought you guys might get a kick out of it. Especailly you Gino......why didn't you try this one on?

Tread.
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, May 03, 2004 - 02:38 AM UTC
That does look awesome, I am a Gator, graduated from University of Florida, Go Gators. Maybe I will have to repaint mine, then again, maybe not. I'm not that crazy. Cool pix though, thanks.
TreadHead
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, May 03, 2004 - 11:56 AM UTC
Howdy Gino,

Hey.....no need to re-paint yours. Just pick up another one and build it up, paint it in true 'Gator' colours, and Viola!!

Tread. :-)
wychdoctor92394
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 219 posts
AeroScale: 136 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2013 - 05:28 AM UTC
If you ever get a chance, watch the movie, "The Beast" (1988) and there's a Super Frelon doing duty as a Mi-8 and/or a Hind-D. Of course, anyone who knows Russian helos knows it's not a "Hip" or a "Hind", but still...

_GOTOTOP