AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 13, 2004 - 09:54 AM UTC
what is it? Luffwaffe pilots and their number of kills? wow, thats impressive
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 489 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 13, 2004 - 12:19 PM UTC
There is a good book about some of these pilots called Luftwaffe Aces , I believe it to be written by Franz Kurowski, published by Ballantine. It is very interesting reading. He also has written Panzer Aces and Infantry Aces, both are good reads.
firemann816
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 790 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 13, 2004 - 03:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

what is it? Luffwaffe pilots and their number of kills? wow, thats impressive

Yeah i think so, I tripped over it when i
google'd for "Hans Rudel"
that dude was TOUGH
geronimo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 136 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 13, 2004 - 07:46 PM UTC
Yeah i think so, I tripped over it when i
google'd for "Hans Rudel"
that dude was TOUGH [/quote]

That dude was a real Nazi during AND after the war; something that was not very common among the Luftwaffe pilots. Although his score looks impressive, I wouldn't praise him too much.

CU

Frank
coltm4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 164 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 13, 2004 - 08:10 PM UTC
now THAT is a comprehensive site! thanks fireman it'll come in usefull or it will be usefull or wahtever. thanks!
firemann816
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
Posted: Friday, May 14, 2004 - 12:22 AM UTC
Thanks for the feedback Geronimo
geronimo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, May 14, 2004 - 01:15 AM UTC
firemann

No offense from my side ! I also have Hartmann's 109 and Rudel's 190 on the shelves. The site is good ! But Germans were tought not to be proud of their "heroes" , although their scores were most impressive compared to other nations.
But what else are heroes in a war than better "killers" than others ?
For me, a fireman or a cop is a hero. Or a father with four daughters. #:-)

Cheers

Frank

Nighthawk54
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany
KitMaker: 66 posts
Posted: Friday, May 14, 2004 - 06:17 AM UTC
yes, the Germans were taught not to be proud of these war "heroes" I agree with geronimo, police officers and firemen are heroes, not nazis
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Friday, May 14, 2004 - 08:57 AM UTC
Nice site, some excellent pictures and paintings, thanks for sharing.
Mal
firemann816
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 16, 2004 - 02:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

yes, the Germans were taught not to be proud of these war "heroes" I agree with geronimo, police officers and firemen are heroes, not nazis

As a retired fireman, I thank you for the respect given the public safety officers, they are worthy, of your admiration, praise, and are routeinely underpaid.

However, Germany (AFAIK) was taught to be unproud of her heroes because some of them served or subscribed to a politically incorrect idea - living space for the European race.

Deutschland was run over by communists from Russia, and the US State Dpeartment was full of them, theyre pushing the Orwellian 'memory hole' trick.

I wish the politicos would at least let us recognize the gallantry of the soldiers on ALL sides.
I feel modelers recognize that, and capture it in their art. Russian snipers, Luftwaffe Aces, American 101st, Japan minisub pilots, etc

Hope this doesnt offend anyone -
Germany was a great country when I lived there, and her people were great to me, and my family.
DRAGONSLAIN
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Distrito Federal, Mexico
KitMaker: 779 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 16, 2004 - 03:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That dude was a real Nazi during AND after the war; something that was not very common among the Luftwaffe pilots. Although his score looks impressive, I wouldn't praise him too much.

That makes him even more a hero,in my opinion, he was no hypocrite, he really fought for the nazi cause and didn't stop believing in it, it didn't matter to him if the whole nazi empire fell. For me a hero is him who gives his like for a cause HE believes is right, and that counts for police and firemen(thank you!). now about him being a better killer, well, thats what he has to do to survive, and that only means he really had some skill, police officers also have to do it once in a while don,t you think?

Quoted Text

Rudel flew 2,530 missions. He is accredited for knocking out 500 tanks, 800 other military vehicles, 70 landing craft, 1 battleship, 1 cruiser, 1 destroyer, 4 armored trains, and an unknown but significantly large number of anti-aircraft guns and artillery pieces. He was shot down more than 30 times by enemy forces. He was directly involved in 6 rescue missions to save members of his own squadron from imprisonment. His official medal, the highest in all of Germany, was officially designated as: “Golden Oak Wreaths with Swords and Diamonds top the Knight’s Cross of the Iron Cross.”

He was the most highly decorated soldier of the 3rd Reich, and still remains the most highly decorated wartime aviator in the world.

Hans Rudel, I salute you
geronimo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, May 16, 2004 - 05:35 PM UTC
.[/quote]
Hans Rudel, I salute you [/quote]

Like to have some KCN with that beer ?

Frank
geronimo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, May 16, 2004 - 05:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

As a retired fireman, I thank you for the respect given the public safety officers, they are worthy, of your admiration, praise, and are routeinely underpaid.

However, Germany (AFAIK) was taught to be unproud of her heroes because some of them served or subscribed to a politically incorrect idea - living space for the European race.

Deutschland was run over by communists from Russia, and the US State Dpeartment was full of them, theyre pushing the Orwellian 'memory hole' trick.

I wish the politicos would at least let us recognize the gallantry of the soldiers on ALL sides.
I feel modelers recognize that, and capture it in their art. Russian snipers, Luftwaffe Aces, American 101st, Japan minisub pilots, etc

Hope this doesnt offend anyone -
Germany was a great country when I lived there, and her people were great to me, and my family.

Thanks for the flowers, fireman. I agree to every point.
Maybe it's unpopular in Europe these days, but I like US people for what they are. Well, your actual government, ... let's talk about the weather...

Schöne Grüsse aus Aachen

Frank
firemann816
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
Posted: Monday, May 17, 2004 - 03:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for the flowers, fireman. I agree to every point.
Maybe it's unpopular in Europe these days, but I like US people for what they are. Well, your actual government, ... let's talk about the weather...

Schöne Grüsse aus Aachen

Frank

Thanks - I agree, we Americans now value comfort over Liberty, or accountability from 'elected officials' so they get away with Murder,
But Germany was a great place, when I was there in the 70s (as a little kid)
I hope to take my family there one day, because it was so wonderful,
great people,
great food,
greatest beer,
beuatiful scenery.

I might wait until the dollar is stronger against the Euro, and Europe in gneral isnt so angry at the US, (if that day ever returns)

All the best -
Scunge
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 254 posts
Posted: Monday, May 17, 2004 - 07:03 AM UTC
The true hero there is Hartmann. Not only was he probably the best fighter pilot ever, but he kept his wingman alive, so he was not a showboater out to kill and I'm sure he and his wingman both pulled eachother out of sticky situations. Also I believe, and I think it is a pretty widely held belief that Hartmann was not a Nazi, and that he did what he did for his country. I have a lot of respect for that man.
firemann816
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
Posted: Monday, May 17, 2004 - 08:18 AM UTC
hartmann sounds like a great pilot,
didnt Hans marseilles (sp?) also keep his wingman alive until he crashed in the desert???Good points all, Scunge
geronimo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, May 17, 2004 - 07:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

hartmann sounds like a great pilot,
didnt Hans marseilles (sp?) also keep his wingman alive until he crashed in the desert???Good points all, Scunge

Hans-Joachim Marseilles's "career" was a summary of insubordinations (what makes him a nice guy in my eyes) and crash landings while flying with JG 27. He was almost famous for being the oldest Fähnrich (a warrant officer) within the Luftwaffe. Once in Africa, he quickly became famous for his b&z tactics (boom in and zoom out) and was nicknamed the "Star of Africa" (German PR). And was said to be the youngest Staffelkapitän (squadron leader) in the Lw.
While returning from a patrol flight, his engine failed and he finally had to bail out. He was also honored by the British for being a fair opponent.

CU

Frank
geronimo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, May 17, 2004 - 11:58 PM UTC
Thanks - I agree, we Americans now value comfort over Liberty, or accountability from 'elected officials' so they get away with Murder,
But Germany was a great place, when I was there in the 70s (as a little kid)
I hope to take my family there one day, because it was so wonderful,
great people,
great food,
greatest beer,
beuatiful scenery.

I might wait until the dollar is stronger against the Euro, and Europe in gneral isnt so angry at the US, (if that day ever returns)

All the best -[/quote]

Interesting - you have been a kid in the seventies (me too), but you knew our beer ? Very interesting ... Great advantage of living in a free country - you get that beer at the age of 16.
And don't be afraid to visit Europe. It's "your" foreign politics we don't like, the people themselves are welcome. I love off-topics.

CU

Frank
USArmy2534
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,716 posts
AeroScale: 246 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 12:51 AM UTC
While I don't question most of the German Ace's skill, I think its safe to say that many of their kills (especially the early ones) were credited to the fact that much of the aircraft they faced were old piloted by great pilots or newer aircraft with inexperienced pilots. While this in no way is the point in case all the time, I think it played a major factor early on. Also, the Luftwaffe did a good job of placing combat veterans in good positions to share their experiences and advise to newer pilots.
firemann816
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 08:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Interesting - you have been a kid in the seventies (me too), but you knew our beer ? Very interesting
CU
Frank

Kinderbeer for me, real stuff for the parents (Oktoberfest and weekend getaways off base)
Mech-Maniac
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 2,240 posts
AeroScale: 53 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 08:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

who said all those pilots were nazis.......not all german soldiers were nazis
geronimo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 06:42 PM UTC
who said all those pilots were nazis.......not all german soldiers were nazis[/quote]

Noone said this.

But Rudel was definetely a Nazi ! The others were not 'cause it was unpopular amongst the Luftwaffe (didn't I post that before ?). The Wehrmacht generally was not a Nazi organisation, but they lived well with it.
And I know that not all Germans were Nazis. Hitler only received some 30% of the total votes during elections in 1932/33. Fascism is/was not only a German problem. People often seem to forget Italy and the ten thousands of volunteeres from France, Belgium, the Netherlands, Denmark, Norway, Croatia, Albany etc. that joined the Waffen-SS.

No offense

Frank
firemann816
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 02:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Fascism is/was not only a German problem. People often seem to forget Italy and the ten thousands of volunteeres from France, Belgium, the Netherlands, Denmark, Norway, Croatia, Albany etc. that joined the Waffen-SS.

No offense

Frank

I dont think theyre ever told that on a regular consistent basis
firemann816
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 06:53 PM UTC
On this note :
politicians are like diapers -
they both should be changed frequently, and for the same reasons