carrier plane colours
mat
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Limburg, Netherlands
KitMaker: 894 posts
AeroScale: 42 posts
Posted: Friday, May 14, 2004 - 09:35 PM UTC
Hi All,

what colour do I have to use if I want to paint jets on USS Enterprise CVN 65? The Tamiya instructions show the older two twone scheme, but I want to paint the modern 1 tone low viz scheme.

best regards Matthijs
stugiiif
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,434 posts
AeroScale: 403 posts
Posted: Friday, May 14, 2004 - 09:59 PM UTC
I used Testors Dark Ghost Grey for the Lo- Vis stuff. Just remember though there are some Hi-Vis aircraft on board. But Tamiya left out the most obvious of the the C2 Greyhound. HTH STUG
mat
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Limburg, Netherlands
KitMaker: 894 posts
AeroScale: 42 posts
Posted: Friday, May 14, 2004 - 10:42 PM UTC
Hi viz and low viz at the same time?

I am building Big E just before it's major refit in the early 90's. Can you tell me which aircraft were high viz at that time?

best regards Matthijs
stugiiif
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,434 posts
AeroScale: 403 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 15, 2004 - 01:30 AM UTC
AH!!! That is reference and research for that Carrier wing. But usually one bird from each Squadron is Hi-Vis. The most resent and Famous one is "ALL AMERICAN BUG," a F-18C from VFA-146 the Blue Diamonds. Hi-Vis doesn't always mean Grey over White but the colours used in painting the bird. Blacks, blues, reds, and other colours add to the outline of an Aircraft. The Lo-Vis schemes were designed to difuse the outline into the sky behind it making it hard to see far away. Something to look for is deacls in 1/350 scale for the Aircraft in the Air Wing on board at the time. Something to note is that squadron rotate on different home cycle from the ships. But, it shouldn't be hard to find all the little detail like tail ART in 1/350. I have seen them online at alot of site specializing in ships. HTH STUG
 _GOTOTOP