_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Soviet Lend-Lease Colors
MadMeex
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vaasa, Finland
KitMaker: 424 posts
AeroScale: 73 posts
Posted: Friday, May 21, 2004 - 02:16 AM UTC
A quick question to those in the know...

When the Soviets received lend-lease AC, and they repainted them in the Soviet camo (starting on a Soviet PBY) did they repaint the interior from the "interior green" to their standard grey?

Thanks for any advice,
Mika
Hollowpoint
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,748 posts
AeroScale: 9 posts
Posted: Friday, May 21, 2004 - 08:04 AM UTC
I have a couple books on WWII in Alaska that include several photos from Ladd Field (Fairbanks), Marks Field (Nome) and Gore Field (not sure where that was -- somewhere in Canada, perhaps?). They show Lend-Lease A-20s, AT-6s, P-38s, P-39s, P-40s, P-63s, C-47s, B-25s -- all with red stars and U.S. numbers -- on their way to the Soviet Union. Other than the red stars, these aircraft seem to be in original U.S. markings. I think they more worried about getting needed aircraft into combat than re-painting them. One book has a pic of a U.S. soldier painting on a red star -- and the book says the stars were painted on at Great Falls, Montana, before being sent north.
MadMeex
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vaasa, Finland
KitMaker: 424 posts
AeroScale: 73 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 23, 2004 - 11:57 PM UTC
Hollowpoint,

Thanks for the reply. I'm using an Aeromaster PBY sheet, and that calls out for the PBY to have the Soviet brown/green camo, with a standard blue undersurfaces. Looking through my "Red Stars" book shows some lend lease AC (P-39, to be specific) to have a quite dark interior, which would lead me to believe that the AC carried its original interior color. What I couldn't see from the picture was whether or not the plane itself had been repainted.

I have another "Red Stars" volume coming from ebay in a few days, so I suppose I'll just hold off and see what that book says.

Mika
_VISITCOMMUNITY
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 398 posts
AeroScale: 58 posts
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2004 - 05:05 AM UTC
Hi Mika,

Just a quick note to let you know that we have 17 Soviet VVS colors available in our Colourcoats enamels, all matched to samples provided via Erik Pilawskii. You can find the list at:

http://www.whiteensignmodels.com/brochure/colourcoats1.htm

There's no minimum order, and we ship worldwide.
 _GOTOTOP