Modern aircraft of the United States.
Phantom Experts
Recon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,571 posts
AeroScale: 109 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 23, 2004 - 02:18 AM UTC
Which version of the phantom is best: the Tamiya E version or the Revell E version. I know the difference in cost but is the Tamiya version worth it? (1/32)
Recon
stugiiif
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,434 posts
AeroScale: 403 posts
Posted: Monday, May 24, 2004 - 12:40 AM UTC
Recon. I think the Tamiya offering is better, even though it does have it's own draw backs like the Revel kit. Some things to watch for are the intakes. and the tail section. Both areas were oddly done by Tamiya. the only thing that has been addressed in Resin aside from the Cockpit is the intakes. you just have to fiddle with the aft section to get it right. HTH STUG
slodder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
AeroScale: 305 posts
Posted: Monday, May 24, 2004 - 02:03 AM UTC
My opinion is very one sided.... I built the Tamiya version and it was worth it! Very nice kit.
The areas that needed attention were the panels that are U shaped (on its side) and cover the intakes. One side needed some putty work.
I did have a tough time screwing a few of the screws down, go slow and carefully.
The worst part of it was the decals, mine were old and yellowed and dissintegrated when I put them in water. A call to Tamiya's 1800 customer support number got a new sheet mailed to me - no questions asked. Problem solved in about 4 days of waiting for the mail.
stugiiif
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,434 posts
AeroScale: 403 posts
Posted: Monday, May 24, 2004 - 03:16 AM UTC
Ihave to agree with Scott on the Intake issue. the extra $15 is worth it to fix a big problem with the kit. Though I do have to say that Maverick (Doug) did a wonderful job hiding the nasty seems with angle hair. Athin cotton type stuff available from craft stores. he used it model the twisting condesate inside the intakes from morning or catapualt luanches. STUG
ladymodelbuilder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,218 posts
AeroScale: 424 posts
Posted: Monday, May 24, 2004 - 12:39 PM UTC
I also agree with the other guys. The Tamiya would be your best bet. You may want to go ahead an purchase a pair of resin seats for it, because the kit seats do not have allot of detail.

(++)
Whiskey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
AeroScale: 252 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 25, 2004 - 04:46 AM UTC
The Revell is better in my opinon. Unlike the Tamiya the Revell kit is a more accurate depiction of the E model in terms of measurements and the right look. The only thing that it is not right is the front canopy and how it is supposed to blend in and the nose is not shaped correctly. Other than that it is better than the Tamiya, especially when you look at the costs.
riversphynxz
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 262 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, May 28, 2004 - 08:21 AM UTC
hya guys,
i havent build 32 scale A/C but i saw both revell and tamiya kit. fitting problem with tamiya, i will go with revell.

this is a revell recce 72nd scale.
 _GOTOTOP