_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
painting cockpit dials by hand.. help
godfather
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Canada
KitMaker: 817 posts
AeroScale: 66 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 29, 2004 - 06:14 AM UTC
Anyy tips on doing this I am using very fine brushes and acrylics but the pproblem is that by the time I get to the dials the paint has dried ,or if there is too much paint ,so it doesn't dry too fast ,the paint is too thick and I get big blotches. Any suggestions?
brandydoguk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,495 posts
AeroScale: 643 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 29, 2004 - 07:01 AM UTC
I have two techniques for cockpit dials.
If the instrument panel has raised dial detail I lightly drybrush with white until the dials show up. Then I put a drop of gloss varnish into the dial to represent the glass.

If the actual faces of the dials don't have detail, such as indicator needles I use a piece of thin plastic card. I cut it to a narrow piece so the narrow edge is the size of the needle. Then I paint the edge with a small amount of white and touch it to the dial so that it leaves a thin line of white to show the needle. To represent numbers round the dial edge I do the same but with the corner of the card.
It just gives a representation of the dial when viewed through the canopy glass.
riversphynxz
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 262 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 29, 2004 - 07:15 AM UTC
my techniq is to wet the brush first with thinner and then dab it into the paint. just the tip of it. then transfer the pain into a palatte or any smooth surface (bathroom tile is good palatte), dab the brush again in you thinner then get the pain from your palatte. the paint will be very thin by this time, then dab it the dials. remember, the first coating will be light in color, just wait for it dry for few minutes then repeat the whole process again. be patient. its better to add than to erase (disaster).
firemann816
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 790 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 29, 2004 - 10:40 AM UTC
Thanks for the tips fella, ireally like both of your suggestions -
BrandDogUK - I loved your pencil ine article - could you consider writing us an idiots guide at your convenience, with pictures?
That sounds like an excellent techinique, have you ever tried it at 1/72?
I have to do one soon, for a kt in my pile.
Thanks for this suggestion and the panel line article
Wad_ware
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 537 posts
AeroScale: 437 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 29, 2004 - 02:25 PM UTC
Along with the above technics, another thing I do on some of the really small fine detail is to use the point of a toothpick. Not the flat toothpics but the ones with the really sharp points. I stick the point of the toothpick barely into the paint and then just dot it onto the tiny detail a little at a time. You just have to be careful and not have too big of a drop of paint on the pick. It takes a very short time to get the technic down and you have really good control over where the paint goes.
Also, If you don't have anything like this yet, I highly recommend getting some magnifying goggles like the 'Optivisor'. There are a couple different brands out there and some are a little cheaper than others but they all do the same thing. It makes a world of difference in trying to paint small details such as your cockpit dials.

Good modeling,
Wayne
riversphynxz
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, May 30, 2004 - 01:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That sounds like an excellent techinique, have you ever tried it at 1/72?
I have to do one soon, for a kt in my pile.

firemann
i'm 72nd scale modeller. this techniq works fine for me. it will be much more easier for bigger scales.
SgtDinkyduck
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 249 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 30, 2004 - 07:12 AM UTC
wow, i was just about to ask the same question. just started a Huey and man does this thing have alot of interior detail.
riversphynxz
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, May 30, 2004 - 08:29 AM UTC
dont worry sgt. dinky, it will be ok. practice more and be patient.
SgtDinkyduck
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 249 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 30, 2004 - 12:59 PM UTC
the patient part is what im working on, i need to slow down on my builds before i build enough to fill my hobby room up

thing looks like its gonna be fun
riversphynxz
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2004 - 09:53 AM UTC
some shots of my on going project (72nd scale).

happy modelling
Tobar
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 192 posts
AeroScale: 70 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 01, 2004 - 09:40 AM UTC
I always got the same result you are mentioning, But the best advise is kind of metioned here, thin the paint you are using on your instruments panel. White, black, red, yellow.
one stroke across a dial may not look very bright but wait till it drys the apply a second "stroke" of paint the build up a paint will look brighter as more strokes are applyed.
Like always,,,,, patience is the best advise....
riversphynxz
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, June 01, 2004 - 10:45 AM UTC
you are right 2bar, patience, patience, patience.
 _GOTOTOP