_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
1/48 TBF
drewgimpy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 835 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2002 - 06:19 PM UTC
Hello all,

I would like to build one of these things in 48 scale but don't see a lot out there. Could someone fill me in on what kits are good in this scale.

Also, is the the plane that the first Pres. Bush got shot down in or was it another dive/torpedo bomber?
ukgeoff
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,007 posts
AeroScale: 101 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2002 - 06:51 PM UTC
Andrew

By far the best TBF Avengers in 1/48 was/is the Accurate Minatures series, sadly not curently available since that companys demise. It has been rumored that Italeri accuired the molds. Lets hope so. As for other examples, I belive Monogram have done one many years ago and I still have one made by Nichimo, although it's not to good as it was made to include some working features.......folding wings, retracting u/c etc.

And you are correct, Lt/jg George Bush senior did pilot a TBF Avenger.
penpen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2002 - 08:20 PM UTC
If you look well, you should still be able to find the acurate miniatures model.
Look on ebay and such !
G. Bush was only 19 the first time he was shot down, if I remember well... And
wasn't he shot down three times ? #:-)
GunTruck
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
AeroScale: 103 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2002 - 10:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Andrew

By far the best TBF Avengers in 1/48 was/is the Accurate Minatures series, sadly not curently available since that companys demise. It has been rumored that Italeri accuired the molds. Lets hope so. As for other examples, I belive Monogram have done one many years ago and I still have one made by Nichimo, although it's not to good as it was made to include some working features.......folding wings, retracting u/c etc.

And you are correct, Lt/jg George Bush senior did pilot a TBF Avenger.

Actually Geoff - I just saw about 8 of AA's TBF Avenger in the Hobby Shop yesterday evening. They're plain boxed (white cardboard box) now, but still the same kit I bought several years ago. They're still carrying AA's name too. These were new deliveries.

I agree, the AA TBF Avenger is one fine model!

Gunnie
ukgeoff
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,007 posts
AeroScale: 101 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2002 - 10:49 PM UTC
Gunnie:

The ones you saw could be stock clearance items. A while ago I optained two of their SBD-3 Dauntless kits in one plain white box from Great Models Webstore, only one set of plans and NO decals. Saw the same thing happening with the Avenger at a retailer (Hannants) over here.
GunTruck
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2002 - 10:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Gunnie:

The ones you saw could be stock clearance items. A while ago I optained two of their SBD-3 Dauntless kits in one plain white box from Great Models Webstore, only one set of plans and NO decals. Saw the same thing happening with the Avenger at a retailer (Hannants) over here.

Yep - that could be true too. At any rate - these are models not to pass by...

Gunnie
Folgore
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Canada
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2002 - 11:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

By far the best TBF Avengers in 1/48 was/is the Accurate Minatures series, sadly not curently available since that companys demise. It has been rumored that Italeri accuired the molds.

In this month's issue of FSM, they report that Accurate Miniatures is coming back under the name Accurate Hobby Kits. They also report that Hobby Investors LLC had purchased some of Accurate Miniatures' inventory, as well as the rights to the name. Perhaps the one Guntruck found was distributed by these guys.

Nic
Chief
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 498 posts
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2002 - 12:15 AM UTC
:-) It just so happens that yesterday I was up in the Tulsa Oklahoma area and found TOP SHELF MODELS, a nice hobby store in Owasso. He had 5-6 Accurate Minature TBF/TBM kits in 1/48 scale. He had the TBF-1C and also the 1-D models around about &25.00 each. I have built the TBF-1C up till I ruined the paint job by spilling thinner on it. Its currently still on the shelf. I just spoke with the owner, Mr. Royal Stuart at (918)274-0433, and he said he'd be more than happy to sell you one through the mail. Give him a call! HTH

P.S. I didn't get out of there without purchasing a kit. I got Academy's M3A1 "Honey" Stuart. Will let ya'll know how it is.
Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
AeroScale: 750 posts
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2002 - 01:50 AM UTC
Yeah, those Accurate Miniature models are still around you just gotta keep your eye out for them.
drewgimpy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2002 - 05:28 AM UTC
Thanks for the info guys. I may have to give him a call to pick up that model or check out e-bay. If I recall they where selling on E-bay for about that much anyway. I will do it for sure if we decide to have a site build from the WWII Navy era.
GunTruck
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2002 - 05:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for the info guys. I may have to give him a call to pick up that model or check out e-bay. If I recall they where selling on E-bay for about that much anyway. I will do it for sure if we decide to have a site build from the WWII Navy era.

Ditto - if they start talking Group Aircraft Build - TBF Avenger, I'll crack mine open too!

Gunnie
ladymodelbuilder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,218 posts
AeroScale: 424 posts
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2002 - 11:33 AM UTC
Hey Gunnie,
I've already cracked open my Acc. Min. TBF-1C and we will need more that a month and ahalf to get this one finished.... I found alot of ejection pin marks all over the inside of the fuselage.... We may need to go with 4 months for a completion date..... #:-) #:-)
drewgimpy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2002 - 03:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Ditto - if they start talking Group Aircraft Build - TBF Avenger, I'll crack mine open too!

Great, I am going to build that same plane as Gunnie. I guess we can have a how to and how not to do along with the group build. Just kidding, I hope I don't do that bad. I think it would be cool to have a few of the same planes in the build to see different takes on them.
drewgimpy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
Posted: Monday, July 22, 2002 - 01:38 PM UTC
O.K. Now that we are going to do the group build for sure I would like to get some more advice on this model. For those of you that have built it I would like to know if there is a good P.E. kit for it or other neat ad ons (resin, decals, etc.) that I may want to get. Thanks for the help all.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
AeroScale: 287 posts
Posted: Monday, July 22, 2002 - 08:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

O.K. Now that we are going to do the group build for sure I would like to get some more advice on this model. For those of you that have built it I would like to know if there is a good P.E. kit for it or other neat ad ons (resin, decals, etc.) that I may want to get. Thanks for the help all.

Verlinden does a resin "upgrade" for the kit, but most say it is unnecessary. The kit is rather nice and set the standard for modern produced aircraft kits. Now if you were tackling the Monogram "Classics" TBF, that would be a different story.

I actually have an AM TBF (TBM?) as an old Squadron Mail Order Bruce Beamish Special from over 6 years ago. I've cracked it open, but never touched it. It looked beyond my meager aircraft building abilities. Mine came with bombs and rockets and no torpedo, but I did; however, buy a torpedo sprue from AM a couple of years ago.
 _GOTOTOP