_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Talking about group builds
Bombshell
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 293 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2002 - 11:04 PM UTC
Hey everyone,

It seems to me that a good way to spice up the Aircraft section of the website would be to have a group build. I also got too much sun on my head down at Fort Knox, for some reason I really want to build some aircraft.

We could either do a type of aircraft or a certain conflict. If we agree on something, I for one would either like to do a Bf 109 build or a Spanish Civil War group build. I think the latter would be really hooah, since we don't see many aircraft from that era being built.

Anywya, lets get a group together and start hacking on the plastic

Cheers,

CDT Reimund Manneck
U.S. Army ROTC
penpen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2002 - 11:15 PM UTC
That would be nice !
But please, no big scale project !
Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
AeroScale: 750 posts
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2002 - 01:50 AM UTC
I've never participated in a group build project but might be willing to give it a try.
Bombshell
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2002 - 03:26 AM UTC
Thats cool! So which subject do you guys want to build? I proposed Bf 109s and Spanish Civil War because I will be starting a 1/48 Bf 109D soon, that way I am covering both leagues with one model. However, I am sure most of us have many models in the closet that pretty much covers all topics.
So maybe the question is what do you guys want to build?
I am up for just about any WWII subject, except for a couple of German aircraft (since I am airbrush challenged) and some Japanese a/c (since I am canopy masking challenged ). I love WWII Navy birds in overall Dark Blue and I never have a problem building P-47s.
When it comes to jets I only like the early ones (F-86, Mig-15, Hunters and etc).
We could build a subject in any scale we want, that way we make evryone happy :-)

Anyway, think about it, take a look at the pile of kits and lets get this show rolling!

Cheers,

CDT Reimund Manneck
U.S. Army ROTC
m1garand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,248 posts
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2002 - 03:41 AM UTC
I think either Penny(Ladymodelbuilder) or Bryan(Tin_Can) would be excellent to head this up. I know there are others, but those two immediately come to my mind when thinking of building aircraft.
penpen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hauts-de-Seine, France
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2002 - 04:18 AM UTC
I've got an avenger waiting so WWII us navy would be fine...
well I've got plenty of WWII planes to build also, american, german, japnese, soviet...
I love the vietnam era planes also...
Just don't ask me how many unbuilt models I've got at home... #:-)
ladymodelbuilder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,218 posts
AeroScale: 424 posts
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2002 - 04:32 AM UTC
Yep, I have already got a 109 completed and it's 1/32 scale. Another person who is a good candit for a group build, modelcitizen62 (Mike). Him and I both have the Hasegawa 32 scale Bf109 G-6 still to build. I'm sure Mike will be up for the challenge......
Bombshell
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2002 - 05:10 AM UTC
Well, I think it still too early to decide on what we are going to be doing, but suggestions so far seem to be narrowing towards Bf 109s and WWII U.S. Navy. I think its best we wait until Monday to decide what to build that way more people can have an input.
For all that I care we could build both 109s and U.S. Navy stuff for this group build. After all, this is all about modelers getting together to help, motivate, and appreciate each others work and contibute to the site. Let me know what you guys think.

Cheers,

CDT Reimund Manneck
U.S. Army ROTC
Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
AeroScale: 750 posts
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2002 - 05:24 AM UTC
I would definetley lean towards WWII US Navy since I am a swabbie...I have a 1/48 F4U-1 currently in progress and a 1/32 SBD-5E waiting under the desk...also have a big ole 'Thud' down there too
drewgimpy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 835 posts
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2002 - 05:26 AM UTC
If I where to choose between the 109 and the Navy, I would personaly go with the navy. Nothing against the other but there are some Navy planes I would reall like to build. For scale I would suggest 1/48. Not to big, not to small and plenty of stuff out there. Thats my $.02

Whatever we finaly go with, I am in. I think it would be fun. Maybe we could use an future poll question to decide what we would build.
Bombshell
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2002 - 10:18 AM UTC
Seems like U.S. Navy planes got the upper hand...............

I envision this group build as following:
Topic: U.S. Navy Propeler A/C in U.S. Navy markings(including Korean War and Modern types)
Scale: Any
Type of Build: Any (i.e. out-the-box, aftermarket, scratchbuilt)
Time to build: I'd say a 1 1/2 is enough time to build one model, what do you guys think???

For me the plane of choice would be either a Bearcat, a Corsair or a Hellcat. I don't have any U.S. Navy kits in my pile right now so I would have to go find one.

Let me know if this arrangement makes you all happy. Once I get all thumbs up I propose we tabulate all modelers and their corresponding kits and e-mail addresses and share this info with all those who are participating. Than we can use the Forum over here to keep everyone updated on our builds.

Cheers,

CDT Reimund Manneck
U.S. Army ROTC
ladymodelbuilder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2002 - 11:10 AM UTC
Sounds good to me..... Just one thing though....We should have a 4 month time span to get this/or whatever kit completed.
modelcitizen62
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 326 posts
AeroScale: 273 posts
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2002 - 11:57 AM UTC
Hey, a group build is a class II misdemeanor in Virginia . . . . oh, you said group BUILD . . . nevermind.

Yeah, a group Navy build would be great, but maybe try to keep it within two or three months to keep the interest level up maybe?

And there's some neat Navy prop jobs you wouldn't think of immediately, like . . . .

deHavilland Otter from the Navy Test Pilot School?

B-24D into a PB4Y-1?

tailhooked P-51D for the USS Shangri La trials?

B-25J into a PBJ? (not a sandwich either -- they also are misdemeanors in Virginia )

SNJ from the Monogram or Occidental kits?

a B-26 target tug?

a Spitfire V as a Navy gunfire recon bird in the Med?

Yeah, this could be fun!!!!! #:-)
penpen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hauts-de-Seine, France
Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2002 - 01:28 AM UTC
That's great !
For me navy shall it be !
modelcitizen62
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2002 - 07:08 AM UTC
Looks like we got us a group build, yeeeeeehawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!

What's the bunch think about the two or three-month time limit. This just my personal opinion (everyone lock in target solution now . . .), but that would help keep it a bit focused without putting a lot of unnecessary pressure on everyone. I'm open to rebuttal though.

Hey Penny, after this, we'll do dueling 109's
drewgimpy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2002 - 03:17 PM UTC
All sounds good to me also except I would want to put it out to 3 months. I like the idea but not enough to drop everything I am doing now and focus only on it for the next 11/2 months. I would need to order the model so I need 7-10 days for it to get here and I like to spend a little time doing research on things I build. So it all sounds good, lets put the time out a little. To be honest 2 months would probably be to soon for me. If I am the only one in that boat than you can go ahead without me and I will have no problem with that. I do have a limited time I can spend building and that has a lot to do with it also. Thats my $.02
penpen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hauts-de-Seine, France
Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2002 - 04:17 PM UTC
It's the same for me !
3 months should be just fine.
ladymodelbuilder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2002 - 10:03 PM UTC
Ok..... Now that we have the time span decided, who will be the boss of this build? How are we gonna show the finished kits? What's Jim's feelings on this group build and does he have room for another gallery? Before we set a deadline for the model, we need to get the little things lined up and figured out...
Bombshell
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2002 - 10:33 PM UTC
So it seems like the guts of the Group Build are all together. Let's see if we can get this straight:

Topic: U.S. Navy Propeler A/C in U.S. Navy markings(including Korean War and Modern types)
Scale: Any
Type of Build: Any (i.e. out-the-box, aftermarket, scratchbuilt)
Time to build: 3 months

I will have to order a kit for this build also (as a matter of fact I already ordered Swords 1/72 Bearcat). A 3 month deadline would accomodate for shipping time, research, building and finishing with maybe time to spare for those nasty incoviniences.

As to who should be the leader of this group, I would go with the highest ranking individual, since that is a person who uses and contributes to the Forums the most.

Cheers,

CDT Reimund Manneck
U.S. Army ROTC
modelcitizen62
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2002 - 10:40 PM UTC
Three months sounds good here too
ladymodelbuilder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2002 - 10:42 PM UTC
I think the scale was to be 1/48 scale. As for the highest ranking officer being the head guy or gal, it's the fair way to go.
Bombshell
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2002 - 10:58 PM UTC
I believe that limiting the scale is not a very wise idea. Some people (me for instance) don't have enough cash or time to dedicate towards a model, or maybe some are just more confortable with the smaller scale.
Besides, in the end, difference in scales wil not detract from our objective and from the final display of models.

Cheers,

CDT Reimund Manneck
U.S. Army ROTC
ladymodelbuilder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2002 - 11:05 PM UTC
#:-) #:-) Hey, No problem... Just because I am female doesn't mean I'm hard to get along with.....
drewgimpy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
Posted: Monday, July 22, 2002 - 05:20 AM UTC
I think the build rules are great. I would like to be so bold as to nominate Ladymodelbuilder as the boss even if she isn't the highest ranking. She is always active on the aircraft thread and her aircraft work that I have seen is awsome. I also see her a lot around the other parts of the sites so I know she is here a lot and active. She joined the site after me and has already passed me in rank. How does everyone feel about that, including you Penny, don't won't to put this on you if you don't want it. That's another $.02 of input for me.
ladymodelbuilder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, July 22, 2002 - 09:09 AM UTC
Thanks for the vote of confidence Andrew......I would be happy to take charge if no one else or Tin Can doesn't want to. If we can get Jimbo in on the idea and get his input and /or suggestions about this would be great.....

_GOTOTOP