_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
air support in Pacific Invasions
lestweforget
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 2,832 posts
AeroScale: 224 posts
Posted: Friday, June 04, 2004 - 07:28 PM UTC
G'day everyone, had a shot at asking a similar question in the general modelling forums, but again, who better to ask than the experts themselves right?
Well i am wondering, did the navy fly in with the troops landing on the beaches to give them support during any pacific landings? if so, which landings?
there, i think i worded that correctly, lol :-)
cheers
warlock0322
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
AeroScale: 286 posts
Posted: Friday, June 04, 2004 - 09:24 PM UTC
I know that carrier based and medium bombers pounded Iwo Jima for 10 weeks before the invasion.
As for going in with them. They would usually call in for support when needed and the planes would pound the trouble areas.
Here's a link that may help more than my answer did..

http://history.acusd.edu/gen/WW2Timeline/LUTZ/iwo.html

Hope this helps

Paul
lestweforget
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:30 AM UTC
Thanks mate, reading that link you gave me, it made me think, i am being a little to "historically picky", i mean, whose to say that at one stage of the invasions of Iwon Jima, the marines didnt call in air support, i think i will just go right ahead with my idea, cheers mate thanks!
warlock0322
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
AeroScale: 286 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 06:59 AM UTC
Your question got me to thinking and reading a little. Not many can do that.. Your not only stuck with doing Iwo Jima. Below is another link. It is a long read, but I must admit when I started reading it I couldn't stop. It should probably be posted in the history forum but since you asked a question about air support I'll put I there first.

I hope it helps you out more. cause when I was done reading it all I could do was shake my head and pick my jaw up off the floor..

[url]http://www.guadalcanaljournal.com/guadalcanal2.html[url]

Hope it helps more..

Paul
lestweforget
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:52 PM UTC
G'day Warlock, thanks alot, that really was a great article! well now i know i can make it Gaudalcanal as well, cheers
 _GOTOTOP