_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Tornado F-3 Advanced Fighter
YodaMan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 1,561 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2002 - 09:09 AM UTC
Anyone know anything about this plane? I got the 1/48 Italeri kit the other day. Looks pretty nice. I thought it looked cool on the box, so I bought it. (isn't that why we all buy models? )
If I needed another excuse.. all aircraft kits at my local hobby shop are 20% off the MSRP!!! I almost came home with a B-17 and another P-38!

YodaMan - Head in the clouds
modelcitizen62
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 326 posts
AeroScale: 273 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2002 - 12:18 PM UTC
Well, I got a funny but true story for you about the F.3 . . . .

Seems back a few years, when F.3's were coming off the production line for the radars weren't ready for service use, and many F.3's flew with ballast in the nose on operations until the radars became available.

Ferranti, the radar manufacturer, had traditionally used names for its products, like the Blue Fox radar in Sea Harriers. Wags named the ballast "Blue Circle" radar, after the brand of cement used to make the ballast loads.

Linz
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Australia
KitMaker: 181 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2002 - 07:37 PM UTC
Well, the Tornado is not a new aircraft, so there is oodles of information out there about it.

For the model, there is an IDS review at SMAKR that may help, I don't know (though I wouldn't be suprised) if they are the same/mostly the same molds. There is another two at Modeling Madness, one a GR.1 and the other another IDS. Note that the reviewer says that points apply to the previously built F.3.

As for information on the aircraft itself, amuse yourself.

Cheers,
Linz
 _GOTOTOP