Stuka Experts -- please help
Wad_ware
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 537 posts
AeroScale: 437 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 11:54 AM UTC
Hi all
I have a question that is off topic from modeling but thought this could be the first best place to ask all of you for your help. Whether it be in info or good sites for me to help me find the answer to my question. I'll just put this in this forum once and then I'll steer to the correct directions that I hope you all can lead me

I just picked up at an antique store a part from a Stuka dive bomber. It is an authentic part but I do not know what the actual part is. Below is scans of 3 sides of it which shows it is obviously some kind of electronic part of some kind.
I have no idea if it has to do with the radio, landing gear, bomb release mechanism, etc....
You do not see it in the scans but inside there is a large plug for some kind of cable. The outer diameter of the plug is about 1 3/4 " diameter. There is a large hole in the center about 3/8 " diameter and around the outside of that large center hole is 3 very small holes in a triangle. And then surrounding that is a ring of 9 holes about 1/8" to 1/4" diameter.
There are some numbers inside the part too, in this order.
D.R.P.717683
D.R.P.64724
444 3 c6MX

Again ... I apologize for posting this in the wrong forum and thank you to all for all your help and info.
LogansDad
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 938 posts
AeroScale: 109 posts
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2004 - 09:48 AM UTC
Well, Quite obviously, this is the Left-handed Wirblefitzer. Not to be confused with the Right-Handed Wirbelfitzer, which has two skrellthajoks attached as opposed to only one on the Left...
O.K. I have NO Idea. I'm not a Stuka Expert, But I do like a challenge. Having had some training in aviation electronics, some of the individual parts look awful familiar:
1. The yellow/orange cylinder is most probably a transformer forstepping down/up voltage.
2. The reddish coil- could also be a tranformer or possibly a magnet for a relay. I notice it's attached to several of the white cylinders,
3. which I believe are Resistors. could also be transistors, but their composition & placement make me think otherwise...
4. With all of this voltage regulation & resistance going on at the top of the pics, I'm pretty sure the grey box at the bottom is some sort of relay terminal or switching box. Arming/Fire control Perhaps? The more I study it the more I like that theory- notice the multiple connections coming out on the left pic, and also the circuit diagram printed on th bottom(?). The only thing troubling me here is what little I can read of the writing on it:
Directly beneath the 'C34' notice the '20uF' or 20 picofarads. That's .00000002 Farads, a standard unit of current/resistance(amps/ohms). NOT a heck of a lot of power, But makes sense for a multi-pole switching terminal. The next 2 legible lines are '60V' and '80V'. I'm going to take a long shot here and Guess that under the Blach plate those lines giv information on the output of the device, such as '30 amps @60V' or '15A @ 80V'. Again, doesn't seem like much, but plenty enough to set off a wing mounted rocket or trigger a 30mm cannon firing relay.
So, in essence, without any proof whatsoever and using wild leaps of inductive reasoning, I am going to unauthoritatively mumble "Uh, yeah, um, it COULD be part of the weapons system...or not."
How's that grab ya :-)
BTW- If the guys who sold it to you could certify that this was an authentic Stuka part... why exactly couldn't they figure out just what the hell authentic Stuka part it is...? HTH
Wad_ware
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2004 - 04:34 PM UTC
Hi and thanks for the reply,
I have no idea about all the technial and electronics stuff, but WOW!!, I love the way you analize the thing
You could very well be right. I found a site for some guys that have restored some WWII German aircraft. I sent them an email and pics and since this kind of thing is their expertise, maybe they will be able to give me some kind of difinitive answer. If they do I'll post it here if anyone is interested. Maybe it really is the left-handed Werblefitzer :-) :-) :-)

As to your question of the guy selling the part not knowing what the part is.... The one I bought the part off of got several different stuka parts from the guy that actually took the parts off the stuka. Some guages, the thing I got, and a few other various parts. But the guy was dumb on his part because at that time he didn't ask specifically what some of the actual pieces were that he was buying
He guarantees it as a stuka part but has no idea what the actual part is
One thing the original guy has (the one that actually took the parts off the Stuka) that I would die to have, but wasn't ever for sale, is the piece of one of the Stuka wings with the full German insignia on it.
He had to cut it into four smaller pieces to be able to ship it home and then reassembled, mounted and framed it once he came home.

Thanks again for your help. It would be very cool if you turn out to be right in your 'inductive' reasoning

Wayne
Wad_ware
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 01:01 AM UTC
Logansdad - you were in the right area for what you were guessing on my stuka part. I emailed some people from Flugwerk who are only days away from flying their restored FW-190. They were really helpful and here is the response I got from one of them.

Quoted Text

Dear Wayne,
first of all thank you very much for your nice and moral-boosting words. We are just days away from the first flight of our FW 190...The part that you have looks to me as if it is a bomb-salvo, used to trigger the release of smaller bombs from under the wings of the Ju 87.
For coming to that conclusion I have thumbed through the Luftwaffe/RLM supply cataloges. I have not found an exact pictorial match, but I think this is the closest one.
Another way would produce a very exact information: by using the two DRP numbers ( Deutsches Reichs Patent ) one could most probably find the patent's description, but that is a very laborious affair..

I don't know if it is possible or how difficult it would be to find on the internet old patent searches for parts like this but I might try for a little while and see how it goes.

Thank for your help Logansdad and good modeling,
Wayne
LogansDad
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 938 posts
AeroScale: 109 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 09:53 AM UTC
He Shoots! He Scores! He...Cant believe he was even close! Well, Wayne, glad to help in any way, and glad you found an ACTUAL authority on the subject. Enjoy!
( NOT a wirbelfitzer? But I was so certain... :-) )
 _GOTOTOP