_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Finished 1/48 A-4 Skyhawk
GN
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 24 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 12:47 PM UTC
Hello all,

I thought I would post a couple of photos of my A-4. The kit is Hasegawa's A-4 built OOB, except for added PE seatbelts and two decals. The US Navy Gray was achieved by a combination of PS Railroad F414179 "Lettering Gray" and F414197 "D&H Gray". Tamiya White was used on the control surfaces.

A wash of white spirit together with Raw Umber and/or Ivory Black was applied. I also added pastels of different shades plus used an artistic silver pencil to metalize.

The figure is a modified Hasegawa plus all the ground equipment and payload. I don't know if the A-4 ever carried AGM-62's but I wanted a somewhat differement armament (sp?) than the usual. The tarmac is from Verlinden.

Anyway, I hope you will enjoy the photos.

Cheers

GN

riversphynxz
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 262 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 02:42 PM UTC
very nice job GN. i dont know about the loads of A-4 but just a tought, the fins of the AGM-62 is to low and could be a hazard while taking off and landing. but still, it is a very nice model!!!
riversphynxz
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 262 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 02:43 PM UTC
i forgot to ask you, what scale is it?
USArmy2534
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,716 posts
AeroScale: 246 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 04:26 PM UTC
A-4s did carried AGM-62 Walleyes (up to two of them I believe), so you should be right on target. Not sure if you realize it though, but you are portraying training versions on a fleet aircraft (fleet being carrier based and not a training unit. I love the color, especially considering you used paints made for railroad modelling. That and I like the detailing you did on on the slats, brakes, and flaps, though it may be the camera, but the color should be something along the lines of insignia red (or that and a mix of some other type of red). Orange was for training units and your decals show otherwise. Overall great job.
warlock0322
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
AeroScale: 286 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 06:05 PM UTC
Very nicely built and painted Scooter you got there.

The only two things I can see is that with the load you got there you may want to consider to flattten the tires to show the weight of the load she is carrying.

The decal of the Tomcat riding the bomb on the intakes is from VMA-311 out of Okinawa. Not VA-22.

As for the load. A-4's did fly Mavericks very rarely. But they would hang them from the parent rack due to the clearance issue's. What I find original about the load is. The two wing tanks with bombs hanging from the center station. Usually it was more common to do this the other way around. Tank in the center and bombs on the wings. Not saying it could not be done. Just not you everyday load configuration..

It looks like Hasegawa's 1/48 A-4E/F kit. I have this same kit and hope it comes out half as good as yours has.. Congrats she is a real looker..

Paul
GN
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 07:06 AM UTC
Thanks for all the nice comments, gentlemen

Re. riversphynx

The scale is 1/48

Re: Jeff, Paul

I used the Tamiya's flat red on the slats etc. As for the historical and technical inaccuracies you booth have pointed out, they are of course correct. I guess that I'm kind of modeler who grants himself quite a lot of artistic license/freedom, but that's just me

Anyway thanks again for the input and the kind comments

GN
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 08:48 AM UTC
I know very little about the A-4, other than having seen this I know I'd like to build one I know even less about A-4 load out configurations, but now I know who to ask if I ever do build one

A great looking model GN.

Mal
GN
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 11:39 AM UTC
Thanks Mal

If you someday, choose to build one of Hasegawa's A-4's, you will find it enjoyable since it's one of their best kits IMHO. The only problem is the drop tanks.

GN
USArmy2534
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,716 posts
AeroScale: 246 posts
Posted: Monday, June 14, 2004 - 03:17 AM UTC
There is absolutely no problem with artistic license. In fact, I make sure to include some myself in my models. It makes me feel all the more like they are mine and not confined to historical accuracies.
shonen_red
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 5,762 posts
AeroScale: 543 posts
Posted: Monday, June 14, 2004 - 03:53 AM UTC
Great looking kit! I love it!
warlock0322
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
AeroScale: 286 posts
Posted: Monday, June 14, 2004 - 07:36 AM UTC
I too agree with what Jeff said. I also have no problem with artistic liscence what so ever.
In fact I think it is what makes this hobby of ours so great. I too have taken some in the past and still do today.
It takes nothing away from the great build you have done.
Keep them coming and please tell us what you have planned next..

Paul
 _GOTOTOP