Hosted by Rowan Baylis
New Antenna Idea
propboy44256
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
AeroScale: 285 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 01:32 AM UTC
I read this somewhere, Have not tried it.

You can reduce the 'hairiness" of your black thread for antennas by coating a length in White glue. I dries clear but remains a little flexible.

Think it will work?

Johnny
slodder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
AeroScale: 305 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 02:24 AM UTC
You'll want to thin down the white glue so it's not to thick.

It will work and is used for things like tow cables on AFVs
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 08:27 AM UTC
I'm sure it will work but IMHO I don't think it would look very convincing as an aircraft antenna wire. I use smoke coloured invisible thread. It is a convincing colour and is to scale, plus, being Nylon, it can be heat shrunk to make it taught.

It attaches with CA glue and, if your eye sight is good, adding "offshoot" wires is a doddle, because CA glue adheres readily to it.
Mal
GunNut
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 61 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 08:43 AM UTC
Fly fishing tippet, available in good sporting good stores or tackle shops, it monofilament that is nearly as thin as hair. I've used that for antennae and for rigiing biplanes, looks great. It too can be carefully heated to shrink.
11Charlie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 926 posts
AeroScale: 31 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 11:33 AM UTC
I heard this one just today...using the "threads" from the upper portion of womens stockings (nylons). They can be easily pulled apart, can be painted/stained any color, takes CA glue well and even when pulled tight, is so flexible if touched, it will "bounce" right back into a taught position. First I heard of using this, but sounded interesting, so I thought I'd pass it on...
newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 588 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 04:22 PM UTC
Sorry, this is probably covered elsewhere, but how do you heat shrink it? Anything to be careful of??

Thanks,
Leon
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
AeroScale: 1,164 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 11:36 PM UTC
New..There are several ways to heat shrink this stuff. Light a match, blow it out and then let the "smoke trail" waft up around the line. (DONT TOUCH THE LINE WITH THE MATCH!!) This is usually enough heat to get things to start moving. I personally use a soldering iron. It has a trigger on it. I hold it under the line and pull the trigger. Once I see the line start to move, I release the trigger and just watch the line. Its a good idea to practice on an old kit to get the hang of things first. Its pretty simple to do. Give it a try. You'll find it a lot easier than you think. "Q"
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Monday, June 14, 2004 - 07:47 AM UTC
This is what I do, hold a pin in a pair of self locking tweezers, heat the pin, with a lighter, until red hot and position the pin close to the "wire". Be careful not to touch the wire.

This picture is taken from my Tamiya Spitfire Mk 1a online build. If you are interested you can find it here:
Spitfire build
Another method of creating antenna wires is to use shearing elastic, it will perform similar to Darryl's stocking thread, but it's not as much fun to get hold of

Mal
 _GOTOTOP