_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Hasegawa F-14D and Verlinden F-14 AM
shonen_red
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 5,762 posts
AeroScale: 543 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 10:52 PM UTC
It's been a while since I've posted in the AC forums (Dang armor/figures!! :-) ). Ok, got a question, I have here the Hasegawa F-14D 1/48 scale and also the Verlinden F-14 Super Detail set AM for it. To my surprise, I thought it was for all variants of F-14 but the manual (of the PE) stated that it MUST be used for the F-14A/B. Dang! Can I still use all of these update sets?

PS. Should I also get a hang on the Black Box resin cockpit for Hasegawa F-14D? It costs here $40 USD.
USArmy2534
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,716 posts
AeroScale: 246 posts
Posted: Monday, June 14, 2004 - 03:05 AM UTC
Though I don't know whats in the sets off the top of my head, with a little research, I bet there are things you can use. But given its an update set for the A/B variants, I'm betting its either a conversion set in which you remove parts from the D variant, or its a replacement set for the kit parts. Just do a little research. One thing I do know for sure that you won't be able to use (provided its a complete external/internal update set) is the IR/TV camera on the nose - the protruding bump on the bottom of the nose.
SS-74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, June 14, 2004 - 12:31 PM UTC
If you wanna comfort, sorry, shonen buddy, can't give ya.

No you can't use the D set for A/B, the cockpit layout is totally different. D is more digitalized. Need to check your box next time buying expensive upgrades.
stugiiif
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,434 posts
AeroScale: 403 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 04:05 AM UTC
Shonen, you ready for another confusing argument?!?! Yes you can but you have to have references to do so. this is based off the fact that even the few remaining F14's arn't the same as the one next to it. The site is Tomcat Alley and it from My home town Virginia Beach, VA. Also known as NAS Oceana Master Jet Base Atlantic Fleet. http://www.topedge.com/alley/alley.htm
One thing that most of us that Grew with the great base of Oceana know is that no 2 cat are exactly the same. Also there are no true D's left in the NAVY The last went VF-154 when they converted to F-18's. So you can if you have good references for a SPECIFIC aircraft. Mind you that most F-14s left are either the A+ or B variant, and they differ as the specs changed from month in the ever evoling climate of the cold war. Now to give you a clue as to what I mean. Do a search for VF-84 or VF-103 on google and their websites. VF-84 was made even more famous by STARRING in the FINAL COUNTDOWN (great movie) With brand spanking new F-14's delivered in 1978 before their world cruise on the Nimitz. Shortly after in '80 or '81 a mod came changed just the vents behind the Vulcan. around '82 the muzzle fairing was changed for the Vulcan. Also if you can get an old copy of the Natops maunuls you'll see that from the start it has even changed a 100 times as did the F-14. So if you see the trend here you can see why Refences for the Specific Bureau number comes in handy. The reason why That site is useful is they are trying to get pics of bureau number so the differences can be documented. Good luck and I hope you find something the works for what you got. STUG
 _GOTOTOP