_GOTOBOTTOM
Modern (1975-today)
Discuss the modern aircraft age from 1975 thru today.
Academy Su-27 Flanker B - Russian Knights kit
WildDog
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Maharashtra, India / भारत
KitMaker: 86 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, June 14, 2004 - 06:48 AM UTC
Have any of you constructed this kit? Code - 2167.
I wanted to know the colours/serial numbers of the paints that I have to get so that I can go & pick them all up from the hobbey shop.
Also, any tips or special advice for this very kit will be appreciated. Should I paint first & glue after the paint dries or paint the body after I put it all together? Please help. I really dont want to mess this up as the Flanker is my all time favorite a/c.
Cheers & thanks in advance,
WD.
WildDog
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, June 14, 2004 - 07:16 AM UTC
I found a page of the manual online. It displays a list of paints. Are these the colours that I have to buy? Just wanted to clarrify.
Here is a copy of that page. Are those the colours that I need?
Thanks in advance,
Cheers,
WD.
Bishop
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 119 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 03:32 AM UTC
Hope I can help, so here goes:
First, find any pics you can on the internet of the Flanker, second....what varient did you buy/want to build (A,B,C, etc...) If you run into any more troubles trying to find colors and stuff, give me a PM. I will be back at work on Fri and can answer most of your questions. Soviet built aircraft information is one of my best assets, but I would have to do a little research at work for the specifics.
Bishop
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 03:33 AM UTC
My bad...just read your post more thouroughly and saw that it was the Flanker B you are interested in, so ignore that part of my last post...heh.
WildDog
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 07:00 AM UTC
:-) No prob Bishop.
I made a list of the paints that I need, anyway, now I have some new questions which I will post in a new thread so that it attracts more attention.
Cheers & thanks
WD.
WildDog
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 07:07 AM UTC
Hey Bishop, something just came to my mind.
Are you the same Bishop that joined F4HQ a long time ago? Are you a part of the 29thVFW? If yes then you must remember me.
I am Merlin. Name changed to WildDog at F4HQ.
Does that ring a bell?
Bishop
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 05:33 PM UTC
Sorry wilddog, musta been a different dude...spent my career at 2nd bomb wing until just recently. Now Im at transcom at scott afb...
WildDog
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 09:18 PM UTC
oops sorry about that.
Its just that there was another Bishop who joined F4HQ & surprisingly he had the same avatar as you do.
bytepilot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Karnataka, India / भारत
KitMaker: 381 posts
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2004 - 03:24 AM UTC
Hello WD, and welcome to the nicest modelling site out there on the Net! Glad to see I have a wingman for company at last from India !!

Well, as Jim pointed out, I too am from India, and dig planes a lot...LOL!!

Let's see about your problem with the Sukhoi...
1. I hope you are not making an Indian AF Su-27 or Su-30. The IAF flies Su-30 MKIs, and recently got a bunch of MK -1s. These are entirely diffeent planes. As long as you are making the Russian Su-27, it should be OK.
2. I have kit no 2140, also from Academy. This is the UB version, and is the one flown by the IAF. It's a MKI version.
3. You can get the color chips, plus the Humbrol/Gunze Sangyo/etc numbers (i.e the FS number) from IPMS Stockholm. It's pretty easy to use, so let me know if you need any help there.
4. You will not get any modelling paints in India, AFAIK. I should know, I've been scrounging around for the stuff for three years now!! I use Fevicryl instead, and mix up my colors, since I find that more cost effective than getting the stuff imported.
4. The cockpit is an absolute cock up(pun intended), as is the case with every Academy kit of recent planes in 1/48 scale. If you want it to be realistic, you can buy yourself a resin cockpit set. Be forewarned however, these resin sets don't come cheap! If you know somebody coming over, better get it thru them than try and get this stuff on your own. Same goes for paints.
5. In aircraft, first you start off by assembling and painting the cockpit. Then you move on to further assemblies, painting along the way if necessary. I usually assemble the model and then paint, since I find that this method works quite well for me. Sub assemblies are painted and kept aside, and are integrated with the main plane once everything is complete. This helps to prevent accidental breakage of these parts.
6. Finally, a note abt the paints from your scan. These are just for small parts or areas. You'll hardly find any part of the plane having these in large measure. The paints needed for actual painting of the fuselage can be found on the sheet with FS attached to them, or on an additional sheet with camo patterns for the plane under consideration.

HTH. Feel free to ping away lots if you need help !!

Cheers,
Shekar(aka BP)

PS: Check your PM mail box. I've replied to your PM...
WildDog
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2004 - 10:42 PM UTC
Thanks for all the great help Bytepilot. great to see a fellow Indian. I have replied to your PM but I forgot to mention that I cant import anything as there is no way that my mom will give me her credit card number.
Anyway, just read my PM please.
Your right about the cockpit. Real bummer. I will have to try some workaround.
 _GOTOTOP