_GOTOBOTTOM
Modern (1975-today)
Discuss the modern aircraft age from 1975 thru today.
Some Questions
WildDog
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Maharashtra, India / भारत
KitMaker: 86 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 07:13 AM UTC
These are all in regard to the Russian Knights Su-27 Flanker B that I am going to construct.

I have made a shopping list for all the paints that I have to purchase. Its quite long & they are not cheap. 1 Can is like 90Rs. ($1.99). 3 of the paints required are black, flat black & red. The red is only used in 1 place, on the joystick. Thats it. I dont want to spend 90 bucks for painting the stick. Is there a household substitute? Can I just dip it in a bottle of red poster color? Anyway thats a small matter. Heres another question. I need to get black & flat black. Flat black is used in various places so I must get that. Only the ejection seat is black. Thats another waste of 90 bucks. Maybe I could just paint it flat black OR, I could use a black permanent marker. I have one of these. Its like a thick felt pen, but its much stronger & permanent. Will this work?

Also, how do you get those black lines on the wings & throughout the fuselage. The lines showing the separation points of the plates?
Thanks in advance guys. If this model turns out perfect (I am sure it will) then I will write "armorama.com" on the side of the canopy. :-) :-)
Cheers,
WD.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 07:55 AM UTC
I would get just the flat black, if you want/need gloss or satin black simply use gloss or satin varnish over the matt black. As far as the red goes any will do.

You will find articles on the subject of shading panel lines in the Features section, see panel at left. Here are links to them:
Oil washes You can substitute any enamel paint for the oil paint, or you can use water colours. The real trick to this sort of technique is to use a protective coat, such as Future.
Lead pencil panel lines This is probably an easier and certainly a simpler method.

Any method for doing anything has it's pros and cons, you have to find what works for you. Don't forget you can ask any questions you want, of the author of these articles, I'm one and I know the other, Martin, we are both more than happy to help.
Mal
WildDog
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Maharashtra, India / भारत
KitMaker: 86 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 08:00 AM UTC
Thanks for the advice HoldFast. It was a really prompt reply. Thanks.
Can you please check out my question in my other thread.
Cheers,
WD.
 _GOTOTOP