Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 07:18 AM UTC
I had promised an article on using kitchen foil to produce a bare metal finish. You will see, from the pics, that the foiling has been reasonably succesful. On closer inspection you will see why it has not been finished and the reason why I have written the article. The foil is, relatively, easy to apply, but as you will see there are brush marks showing through. These have been highlighted by me seeing if they will sand out. The technique has primise, you can see how I was able to foil around the intake lip and the drop tank pylons. You can also see how well the detail has been captured. However for this to be good enough the brush marks have to be eliminated. I will attempt to use an old credit card, as a sort of squeegy, which might improve matters. Any other ideas? Yes I know about the article in FSM, that is what gave me the push to have a go, but clearly there is more to this than meets the eye.

Mal
CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
AeroScale: 1,168 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 07:23 AM UTC
Eeee Gad, Mal I gave that a try a few years ago and gave it up as a bad idea. Thank GOD for Alcald and MM Metalizers. Marvelous effort on your part, keep up the good work. You are a better man than I.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 07:40 AM UTC
Hi Mal

My first thoughts are twofold:

a. The surface detail is showing through better than I dared hope... it looks superb!

b. There's a prominent "grain" which rather spoils things.

I've only ever applied foil to small panels, so I can't really offer any tips from experience.

My lingering doubt is that this looks almost too shiny for an operational aircraft - whether it's down to "scale effect" or whatever, I don't know... but it would be tragic to dull it down with a matt coat, because it might end up just looking like paint.

Awesome job... you're acting as pathfinder on something we'll all benefit from.

Cheers

Rowan
HunterCottage
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,717 posts
AeroScale: 139 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 07:52 AM UTC
Holdfast - Wow! Wow and wow again!! To go to so much effort for us at Armorama!! Truley impressive!!

I was thinking about what you said about the brush marks. What if you used a spatula, you know the thingy you scrape a bowl with when making muffins or the like. It is not like a brush in that sense, but less hard than a credit card.

Maybe a scotchbrite sponge, with the scouringpad on one side and a sponge on the other side, could work the same way when using the sponge side.

I have to agree that it does look too mirror-like, but I have seen pictures of bare P-51 where I wondered how they got the bird so shiny.

Thanks again for sharing!!!
LogansDad
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 938 posts
AeroScale: 109 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 07:52 AM UTC
Holdfast- I was wondering if instead of brushing on the adhesive, you had tried rolling it on. A hard maple ink roller (as used in offset print transfer inking) or a small, sponge detail roller should be ideal for this. I've had success using this method to roll out latex in very thin sheets for use as 'skin'. gives a very evencoat, no high spots with practice...
HTH!
warlock0322
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
AeroScale: 286 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 05:22 PM UTC
Mal:

The foil looks great brush marks and all. Gives the metal a grain look to it the some metals do really have.

If you are trying to get rid of the brush marks though. You could try a buffing compound ( like Tamiya's) or Colgate toothpaste. (The white stuff not the gel).
There is one other thing I can think to throw out there too.. If you have a beauty supply store around you they have what they call "buffing pads". They look and feel like chamois(sp) cloth.

I have used the compound and toothpaste to shine up a canopy, but picked up a buffing pad to give it a try as well.

Hope this may spark an idea to get you where you need to go.. Can't wait to see this an read the article..

Paul
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 08:09 AM UTC
Thanks for the replies guys

Quoted Text

My first thoughts are twofold:

a. The surface detail is showing through better than I dared hope... it looks superb!

b. There's a prominent "grain" which rather spoils things. Merlin

Yes it is actually quite easy to get the surface detil to show. I had actually foiled the wheel wells, but couldn't quite get complete coverage, without the foil tearing. This was partly due to the fact that it was the same piece that was covering the lower wing, in that area, so it was sort of anchoured there. Using a seperate piece might do the trick, I will have to try it

The grain is my doing, it is more prominant than it should be. I was testing a theory, as well as seeing if the brush marks could be sanded away. If I ever get to finish this I intend to use a very high grit (from a polishing kit, 12,000) sanding different ways, to give the effect of grain, to give the differing shaded panel effect.

Quoted Text

My lingering doubt is that this looks almost too shiny for an operational aircraft - whether it's down to "scale effect" or whatever, I don't know... but it would be tragic to dull it down with a matt coat, because it might end up just looking like paint.

Yes it is very shiny, but it looks like metal (cos it is metal ) I plan on my weathering process to tone it down. I'm undecided about a matt, or semi-matt coat, for the same reason you give. As this is really an experiment I suppose I'll have to give it a try, just to see what it looks like eeek!

Brian, nice idea about the sponge or spatula, I'll give them both a go, thanks

Logansdad, I like the idea of a roller, so I will try that as well. Where can I get a "detail roller"?

Paul, thanks for the tip, but as you can see I've tried to sand out the brush marks, with little success. Your buffing compound/toothpaste idea will be great for polishing, when I can get the stuff on flat.

Thanks again guys, I had almost given up on this, deciding that Allclad was the way to go. Now I have new heart in the method, watch this space Might be a while though.
Mal
HunterCottage
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,717 posts
AeroScale: 139 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 08:16 AM UTC
Mal,

Maybe you have already explained this, but how are you applying the glue now?
LogansDad
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 938 posts
AeroScale: 109 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 08:22 AM UTC
Mal-(if I may be so informal)
Yuo should be able to find both an ink transfer roller and a detail roller( Though they may be called something differtent 'over there') in an art supply store. Check in the rubber stamping aisle, and in the faux finish/stenciling(paint) sections. TIP: do NOT bother with the normal 'fibre nap' rollers-they will soak up several ounces of adhesive,and leave revolting, stringy messes in your work! The type you want has more of a 'foam rubber' cover on it. Cheers, & HTH!
( btw.-as I know almost nothing about english "regions", do you think you might have a peek at my "ProjX" help from across the pond Post and recommend it to some likely mates 'over there'? Thanks )
shonen_red
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 5,762 posts
AeroScale: 543 posts
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2004 - 01:39 AM UTC
Absolutely amazing!!! Can you tell us how you did it?
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 02:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Maybe you have already explained this, but how are you applying the glue now?

Brian, I've tried brushing it on, which is fine, but the brush marks show. I have also tried using an old credit card as a squeegy.

Quoted Text

Absolutely amazing!!! Can you tell us how you did it?

Shonen, I am writing an article, which I can't complete until I've cracked this problem. If you want to have a go re-post and I can tell you what I have done, but as I haven't mastered it yet I'd rather not put false info on the board
Mal
 _GOTOTOP