_GOTOBOTTOM
Pre-Flight Check
Constructive critique of your finished or in-progress photos.
Hasegawa 1/48 Hellcat Royal Navy
newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 588 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2004 - 05:20 PM UTC
Well it took forever, but I finally finished today. Please, please let me know anything that you see that I could do to improve my building; I feel like I am getting better, but I know there is tons more that I could do to produce an even nicer model.

Some specifics:
1/48 Hasegawa Hellcat
True Details Cockpit and Tires
Added Brake lines, hypodermic needles for gun barrels, hollowed out exhausts tubes, wired engine, repositioned ailerons and rudder
Kept weathering to a minimum (wanted it to look almost new)

Thanks again for any comments.
Leon

brandydoguk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,495 posts
AeroScale: 643 posts
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2004 - 11:39 PM UTC
That's a great looking hellcat, congratulations.
One question, how did you do the antenna wire?
newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 06:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That's a great looking hellcat, congratulations.
One question, how did you do the antenna wire?

Antenna wire was done with "Transparent Nylon" bought and the craft store. I glued it to the back, then around the antenna post (which I broke off 3 times throughout the build ) then wrapped around itself a few times and finally into the hole in the fuselage. When all was dry, I went over it with a black sharpie marker to color it.

I tried to heat it a little to see if it would take out the bend, but didn't really have any luck with it. Oh well.

Thanks for the comment.
Leon

Part-timer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 361 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 06:30 AM UTC
That looks fantastic. I didn't realize that RN Hellcats had the wheel wells, landing gear legs, etc. all painted the same color as the underside. Is it all Sky color?
newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 01:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

That looks fantastic. I didn't realize that RN Hellcats had the wheel wells, landing gear legs, etc. all painted the same color as the underside. Is it all Sky color?

It is all the sky color, but I have to be honest with you...I have no idea if it is correct or not. I did try to do a lot of searching for this scheme on the internet and found 1 or 2 models painted this way, but none of the real thing. Maybe I wasn't looking up the right thing

Anyway, so I just went with what the Hasegawa directions had. If anyone can tell me different and/or show me how you found it, I would love to know. Research is a skill I still have not developed, but would like to...

Also, how reliable are kit directions?? Do companies often get things wrong??

Thanks for looking and the comment; I appreciate it.
Leon
stm
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 98 posts
AeroScale: 96 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 07:22 PM UTC
Beautifully done Leon. The only thing I have is there appears to be a slight roughness to the finish. It is always more apparent with a semi-gloss rather than dead flat finish. I can also see a very slight seam down the aircraft spine.

One thing you have to say about the camera, it is brutally honest. But often what appears more pronounced in photos is not as apparent to the naked eye.

Keep up the great work, looking forward to seeing more of your stuff here!
MikeMaben
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 12 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 12:54 PM UTC
Looks good Leon. My personal opinion is that colored antenae look larger and more pronounced than they should. While they were obviously 'some' color , when scaled down, the color would be imperceptable to the human eye. An arguable point I know, but hey

Scott, I think what looks like a seam line on the top of the fuselage is a shadow of the antenae. Can't see any anywhere else on the ship.
Mike
a
b
e
n
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 04:44 AM UTC
Hi Leon, a very nice looking Hellcat, one to be proud of I think the rough surface finish, Scott talks of, may be a slightly to heavy a varnish coat, or may be one not quit thinned enough. It may just be, again as Scott suggests, the camera.

I must agree with Mike, the darkened antenna wire just doesn't look natural. I use a similar material, but smoke coloured, I leave it as is. It is quit difficult to see and this does make it appear thinner and more to scale.

Quoted Text

It is all the sky color, but I have to be honest with you...I have no idea if it is correct or not.

Can't really help you with this one. US Navy Hellcats had the gear wells, legs, doors and wheels painted the underside colour. It is quite possible that the FAA copied this practice when they painted/re-painted their Hellcats. I will have to look at this further, because I now want to build a FAA Hellcat
Mal
newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, July 05, 2004 - 03:38 AM UTC
Thanks guys,

I'll have to try to locate some smoke colored thread...available at the craft store??

Anyway the less than smooth finish is not just the camera and it is one of the things that I will always look at with a little disappointment. I suspect it was actually due to my primer coat; I think I should have sanded or something after it. It was the first time I used primer, and honestly, I'm not sure if I'll use it again. One guy at the local model club suggested going over it with a gently scotch bright rubbing, but I'm too afraid I would do damage that would make it go from a model I am really happy with to one that is "junk," so I'll probably just keep it how it is.

Again thank you. I know I still have tons to improve upon, but I cannot tell you how much this site has taught me over the last year.
 _GOTOTOP