_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
hellcat done
newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 588 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2004 - 05:24 PM UTC
This is a shameless plea for your comments. I just posted my hellcat in "The Critic's Corner" and would love any comments you can give. I have learned so much from all of you on this site over the last year, so I would love an honest critique from you all.

Link to the Post
11Charlie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 926 posts
AeroScale: 31 posts
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2004 - 07:16 PM UTC
New,
I'm no expert, but it sure looks sweet to me!! Love those panel lines...how'd you do those?
newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 06:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

New,
I'm no expert, but it sure looks sweet to me!! Love those panel lines...how'd you do those?

Thanks for the positive comment. For the panel lines, I tried Brandydoguk's method of pencil lead. Read about it here It worked great and I liked that it allowed the panel lines to come through the decals a little better than usual. (I did think it was a little too dark though and am on a quest to find a lighter colored lead.)

Thanks again.
Leon
11Charlie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 926 posts
AeroScale: 31 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 10:01 AM UTC
Thanks! Going to give that a try...
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 07:43 PM UTC
Hi Leon

Beautiful job!

All the extras look great and the finish is superb. What paints and decals did you use?

One thing I wondered is whether there should be a non-slip finish at the wing-root. In Detail & Scale it says that this varied in application from a/c to a/c, so it may also be correct to have none.

All the best

Rowan
newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 06:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Leon

Beautiful job!

All the extras look great and the finish is superb. What paints and decals did you use?

One thing I wondered is whether there should be a non-slip finish at the wing-root. In Detail & Scale it says that this varied in application from a/c to a/c, so it may also be correct to have none.

All the best

Rowan

Thanks Merlin.

The main colors (sky, slate grey and sea grey) were model master enamels and all others were Tamiya. I have tried to move totally into the tamiya acrylics, but being color blind when the directions don't give a tamiya mix, I often end up going into the enamels which actually say the names of the colors that I am looking for

The decals were a mix of the kit decals and some aeromaster hellcat stencils, and I decided to be brave and paint on the white instead of using the decals.

As for the non-slip finish. I have no idea. All I have is the hellcat walk around and I could find no pictures (except for one not very good profile) of the royal navy (FAA? are they the same??) hellcat, so I just went with the kit directions on the major decisions. In fact I have to tell you that when I put on the "no step" stencils (one of which is right by the wing root) I questioned "where does the pilot step then??" This just shows how little I actually know...

Thanks again.
Leon
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2004 - 07:56 AM UTC
Hi Leon,
I've taken a look in the critics corner and your Hellcat is great. I will be looking a few more times, then, if I can, I'll give you some of that constructive criticism. It does look very good though, one to be proud of
Mal
newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 02:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Leon,
I've taken a look in the critics corner and your Hellcat is great. I will be looking a few more times, then, if I can, I'll give you some of that constructive criticism. It does look very good though, one to be proud of
Mal

Thanks Mal, I look forward to hearing any of your thoughts.

Leon
 _GOTOTOP