Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Does this look like it's spinning?
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 880 posts
AeroScale: 654 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 02:49 AM UTC
Hi guys. Posted some pics in my gallery on page 3 of a simulated spinning prop. They are going to be attached to my P-47's in my Wolfpack dio. The one you see is almost done. Just wanted to know what you guys think, please give ideas and comments, THANKS, Wingman out.
shonen_red
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 5,762 posts
AeroScale: 543 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 03:05 AM UTC
Is this it"

Looks ok to me. The airbrushing of the prop seems too thick ti me. Try attaching this to your plane and let's see how it goes
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 03:26 AM UTC
Shonen, did you post these in the forum? If you did THANKS. First time making a simulated spinning prop. I see what you mean by the prop coverage being a bit thick. I might try to [scratch] it some more chucked in my Dremel tool. I have to figure out a way to make the hub look like it's spinning too, THANKS Wingman out.
Cactus911
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 119 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 03:28 AM UTC
I think that looks cool! When I first looked at the picture I thought you were spinning it on your tabletop.

Stephen
propboy44256
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
AeroScale: 285 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 03:34 AM UTC
Yes it looks like it is spinning!
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 489 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 03:37 AM UTC
I think that to make the hub look like it is turning you may want to shave off those details which would be where the prop blades connect to the hub. Then make a disc of appropriate size using the same technique and put in in place to replace those parts of the hub. To make the rest of the hub appear to be turning I think I would just lightly wet sand with 1500 grit in the direction of the spin. Be sure not to go askew from this direction. I would only sand enough to give it the right feel. This would have to be a decision based on your instinct. Work slowly and stop to check the look often.
slodder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
AeroScale: 305 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 03:40 AM UTC
That is a great job. I like it quite a bit.
If you're still at a point where you have supplies and can test some other techniques I would offer that you try to fade (disolve) the black away from the leading edge of the prop.
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 03:55 AM UTC
THANKS Rich. I'll give that a try. Of course I will practice first on some spare parts, Wingman out.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 04:08 AM UTC
Hi Michael

Neat idea! - I'm looking forward to seeing the finished result.

I agree that the edges should probably be softer. Another effect that seems to be common in photos is that the blades often appear denser towards the centre.

Hope this helps

Rowan
keenan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,272 posts
AeroScale: 74 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 04:47 AM UTC
There was a good article in the October 2003 Fine Scale Modeler by Paul Boyer on how to do exactly what you are doing. I would scan it and email to you but my scanner is kaput. Anyway, maybe someone else can scan it and send it along? He used the same technique but the effect a a bit more subtle, if that makes any sense...

Shaun
stugiiif
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,434 posts
AeroScale: 403 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 05:37 PM UTC
Mr. ryan may I suggest hitting the local radio shack or even a R/C supplier. Micro motors work great to spin the props and are easy to set up and run. If you can get them Tamiya also makes several types oif touch start motors for their Propaction line of kit. they look nice, but you have to get creative in hiding wires. I usually run them through the stand and suports if they are in flight. HTH STUG
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, June 25, 2004 - 01:11 AM UTC
THANKS everyone for your suggestions. I'm going to give it another try this weekend and see what happens.Wingman out.
Sensei
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Belgrade, Serbia & Montenegro
KitMaker: 1,217 posts
AeroScale: 28 posts
Posted: Friday, June 25, 2004 - 01:16 AM UTC
It looks like spinning to me

Try it out on your airplane and take a picture for us to see

_GOTOTOP