_GOTOBOTTOM
Pre-Flight Check
Constructive critique of your finished or in-progress photos.
My Dragon Henschel Tiger Completed!!!
hworth18
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 426 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 01:56 PM UTC
Okay, for those of you who have been following my progress in the rivet review board, this has been a REALLY smooth build.. I am very happy with the results and I would recommend this kit to anyone.
The kit was built OOB with the only addition of the Friulmodel tracks. It was painted with Tamiya acrylics and wethered with an oil wash.. Any comments are appreciated..
Thanks for looking.......

Sensei
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Belgrade, Serbia & Montenegro
KitMaker: 1,217 posts
AeroScale: 28 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 09:44 PM UTC
It's a really nice and clean build.

What i dont like is that its too clean?

Ofc, this is not a problem if u wanted to make a wehicle thats just came out from a factory

But if u plan it for a diorama or sumting... make it a bit more dirty!

also, i think wheels/tracks are a bit too glossy (or maybe its the pics)

next thing, i DONT see a MG on lower hull?

otherwise, u made a beautifull little kitten!

Stahlhelm
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 414 posts
Posted: Friday, June 25, 2004 - 12:21 AM UTC
While your model is very attractive in it's present 'pristine' condition, it could, IMO, benefit from the additon of pastel shading. A burnt umber 'stick' drawn across prominent edges then blended with a soft brush will 'tone it down'. Be certain not to handle the model after applying pastels as the finish can be delicate. Good lookin' model.

Cody
didiumus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 564 posts
Posted: Friday, June 25, 2004 - 05:43 AM UTC
Nice, clean build. I have one of these in my stash, it is good to know it is a great build. You have done an excellent over all job on this model. Here are some small suggestions:

I am curious as to why you used Friuls when the kit already had indis? Just wondering...

The finish is very very pristine, almost like a museum piece. I can understand not wanting to muddy it up, and most people who model King Tigers overweather them. Most of them didn't last very long. I would recommend some light drybrushing to give the finish some depth.

Also, think about adding (the MG barrel ) and some stowage items to bring it to life. Maybe some figures, jerry cans, loose weapons, knapsacks, wire, foliage, etc... reference books are excellent for ideas here...

My last comment is the tracks need to be weathered more. They look almost too clean even for a museum tank. Try a google search and look for color pics of KT's, the German track links were usually brown, not so black. I think they were made of a manganese alloy???

Great job, keep up the good work!

Scott Gentry
hworth18
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Friday, June 25, 2004 - 09:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I am curious as to why you used Friuls when the kit already had indis? Just wondering...

My last comment is the tracks need to be weathered more. They look almost too clean even for a museum tank. Try a google search and look for color pics of KT's, the German track links were usually brown, not so black. I think they were made of a manganese alloy???

Great job, keep up the good work!

Scott Gentry

Scott, I used the Friulmodel tracks because the kits indy tracks required WAY too much cleanup to be used.. And, I REALLY like the metal tracks, they have a natural sag and can be adjusted or removed if needed.

The pics really don't do this model justice thanks to a "cheapie" digicam, but the tank is well weathered and the tracks aren't actually all black, it just looks like it in the pics.. They are actually, a black base with a heavy "rust" wash and detailed with a silver pencil on the cleats.. Then washed again..

Thank you all for the comments and I will consider doing some of them, but "dirtying" the tank up more isn't an option.. I actually like the idea of a tank just issued to a unit and in somewhat of a pristine condition.. Especially since many King Tigers were lost within months from the factory..
stm
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 98 posts
AeroScale: 96 posts
Posted: Monday, June 28, 2004 - 11:37 AM UTC
My experience with armor models is pretty limited but i have seen more than my share of the real thing. The model looks great but it looks like it just rolled out of the factory. Dirty that rascal up! Pastels and washes and some dry brushing will dirty it up, especially in the tracks.

didiumus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 564 posts
Posted: Monday, June 28, 2004 - 02:46 PM UTC
LOL,

I guess we all agree about the weathering... Seriously, you did a great job. After you replied to me, I turned the brightness of my computer monitor WAYYYYY up and then I could see a little more that your model was indeed weathered much more than it first appears...

So, can I change my vote to get a new digital camera?? LOL!!!

I think it looks pretty good. What about some figures, jerry cans, ammunition, foliage, etc?

Best regards and nice job again.

Scott Gentry
hworth18
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Monday, June 28, 2004 - 03:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

LOL,

I guess we all agree about the weathering... Seriously, you did a great job. After you replied to me, I turned the brightness of my computer monitor WAYYYYY up and then I could see a little more that your model was indeed weathered much more than it first appears...

So, can I change my vote to get a new digital camera?? LOL!!!

I think it looks pretty good. What about some figures, jerry cans, ammunition, foliage, etc?

Best regards and nice job again.

Scott Gentry

Scott,
I am working on the camera problem..lol
I do appreciate the suggestions and have since done some more work on the TigerII to give it a little more "weathered" look.. And made some improvements elsewhere.. I may take it to a friend that does professional quality pics and see what he can do for me..

Thanks again,
Harry
FiveOduece
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 159 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 01:16 PM UTC
Beautiful tank so far, the thing that stood out the most was how bright the numbers were on the turret. The numbers need to be dulled down and blended more into the turret. The numbers almost appear as if they were put on after the wash was applied. You may want to use pastels on the tank. Nice shades of browns, even some ochre pastel, it would be great way to blend in and add that little extra detail. Hobby Lobby is in OK, so can get some great pastels (non oil) for a great price.
 _GOTOTOP