_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
P-40B spare parts? Or did I screw up...
Norwood
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 10 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 12:36 PM UTC
Hi All,

I'm new to this forum and a beginner modeler. Although I used to build when I was younger (10+ years ago) only recently I decided to come back to this hobby.

OK, so I decided to start with the P-40B Tiger Shark kit from Revell Monogram. Everything is going fine but I realized I have some 'spare' parts:

- part number 22
- numbers 46 and 47

Couldn't find anything in the instructions that would make use of those... so I'm not sure if the instructions are wrong and I should have used them somewhere or if those are really spare parts.

Has anyone had the same problem?
Thanks!
CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
AeroScale: 1,168 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 12:43 PM UTC
Well first NORWOOD let me welcome you to probably the best place to ask such a question. I'm sure someone here has the same model and can give you a better answer than I.

My guess: Manufactures often have several varients of the same kit, this may be the case here, in which case they are parts for a varient not the one you build.

If I'm wrong but it still looks good without the parts, don't tell anyone about the extras they'll never know.

Have Fun and Keep Modeling
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
AeroScale: 287 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 01:09 PM UTC
This kit originally had instructions for the landing gear to be assembled in the up or down position. The latest release does not include assembly instructions for the raised position. Therefore the parts that make up the closed landing gear doors are not identified on the latest instruction sheet.
Bishop
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 119 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 02:07 PM UTC
I got another one for ya, since we are on the subject. I am building 2 P-47D razorbacks (Revell 1:48) and about midway through the second build I noticed part #5 on one of the sprues. Kinda looks like a small crescent...anyway, this kit has several optional bombs, rocket launchers, and fuel tank so I didnt think too much of it until I got bored and searched the instructions for it. You guessed it, not there. I also noticed that you cant build this kit "gear up" even if you wanted to.....the gear doors do not even come close to fitting...any ideas on mystery part #5??
Norwood
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 10 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 01, 2004 - 10:21 AM UTC
Hey guys, thanks a lot!

I'll continue building the model and will keep those spare parts somewhere I can find them later... you never know when they will become handy.

BTW, this is a great forum!

Cheers.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 01, 2004 - 10:46 AM UTC
Hi there

Robin is spot on with the P-40 parts.

As for Monogram's P-47... Part #5 is the internal canopy brace. It fits into the notches in clear Part #50.

Hope this helps

Rowan
Bishop
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 119 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 01, 2004 - 03:28 PM UTC
Thanks!
 _GOTOTOP