_GOTOBOTTOM
Pre-Flight Check
Constructive critique of your finished or in-progress photos.
Modeling in "Lilliputian" scale
stm
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 98 posts
AeroScale: 96 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 11:56 PM UTC
That's what a friend of mine once called it (the reference to Lilliput in Gulliver's Travels). Here is the scratchbuilt cockpit sides to ICM's really tiny (finished fuselage will be less than 3" long) Polikarpov I-16 type 24. The rest of the cockpit is really very good but they left off any detail for the sidewalls. The usual treatment, styrene strip and rod and sheet, wire, solder and soda can aluminum. The knobs were made by alternatingly dipping the end of a piece of cut aluminum strip in a drop of CA and accelerator. I used MM 2132 (Flanker Blue Gray) for the sides and MM2134 (Fulcrum Gray Green) for the framework. The reference photos I have show some details (including the seat, stick and floor board) in a green similar to interior green. The panel is solid black. Given the variblilty of painting of Soviet fighters I guess it is in the realm of possiblity so that is the way I will go with it.

The penny in the photos gives some sense of scale, this model is tiny!

added tonight (7/1):

The finished cockpit (just taped in place right now) and instrument panel. The seatbelts are paper with a piece of 0.004" wire used to make the hardware. The detail for the rest of the cockpit is really well done. The instrument panel actually has readable detail on the instrument faces. All I did to it was dry brush the instruments and place a couple of drops of Future into each instrument to simulate the glass. The dime gives a good sense of size of the panel.

New tonight (7/2)

The engine is done, ICM way overengineered it, since you will not be able to see any of it once the fuselage is together. That being the case, I only bothered painting it. The engine is only about 80% the diameter of a dime!

LogansDad
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 938 posts
AeroScale: 109 posts
Posted: Friday, July 02, 2004 - 05:07 AM UTC
Scott- beauty work there, man! I did a quick calculation and came up with 18 feet scaled up, so I'm guessing this baby is 1:72 scale. My personal favorite sickness is scratchbuilding interior into 1;144 scale jets. Even with a 5x stereo Magnifier I wind up with a whammy of a headache after a few hours. Most instument panels at that scale are layered photocopies with future/ceramcoat touchups. Nice to see someone else with that kind of patience & meticulous attention to detail.Looking forward to seeing more as this one develops!
p.s.-hinting strongly to the wife & in-laws for a digicam w/macro zoom for my upcoming B-day so I can start sharing this with the rest of you...
 _GOTOTOP