Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Mosquito camo question
brandydoguk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,495 posts
AeroScale: 643 posts
Posted: Monday, July 05, 2004 - 03:06 AM UTC
I am painting the camo on a Tamiya mosquito B IV. I used the kit painting diagram to mark out the upper surface patern. I also have the Tamiya mosquito FBIV in my stash and happened to look at the camo diagram supplied with that kit and spotted a diference in the schemes given.

Although both patterns are the same the grey areas on one are green on the other and vice versa. Does anyone have any reference to show if this is correct? I would have thought that they would both be roughly the same.
CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
AeroScale: 1,168 posts
Posted: Monday, July 05, 2004 - 03:15 AM UTC
Martin - I have illustrations that show both being used, not should how technically correct they are, as they are illustrations. The first pictured scheme seems to be the preferred in all.

They also show a gray on gray in the second scheme pattern.

The degree of "edge hardness" seems to vary as well, some show hard edges while others show soft, particularlly on the gray on gray scheme they look soft.
_VISITCOMMUNITY
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 398 posts
AeroScale: 58 posts
Posted: Monday, July 05, 2004 - 04:37 AM UTC
Hi Martin,

Technically speaking, the lower image is the correct one according to the patterns established by the Air Ministry for twin-engined monoplanes with a span of 75 feet or less. The pattern shown is the mirror image of the Air Ministry camo pattern, but manufacturers applied the patterns as specified and in the mirror image.

Source: "British Aviation Colours of World War Two: The Official Camouflage, Colours and Markings of RAF aircraft, 1939-1945."
brandydoguk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,495 posts
AeroScale: 643 posts
Posted: Monday, July 05, 2004 - 05:24 AM UTC
Thanks for the info chaps. I had done a picture search but ended up even more confused as some of the B/W photos I found on some sites were shown as a mirror of the same pics used on other sites.
 _GOTOTOP