Aircraft of Germany in WWII.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Aircraft Display
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 489 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, July 05, 2004 - 05:43 PM UTC
I thought I would share what I did to display a couple of my aircraft models. I got tired of building my aircraft with the landing gear down and I don't like to hang them from the ceiling. I had to come up with a different idea. I decided to go the route of trying to display them "in flight" using a method similiar to how some kits come with the display base that fits into a slot in the fuselage bottom. I did not want to poke holes in my aircraft, so I built wire cradles.

I started with a piece of wood that already had the millwork done to it. I picked the size knowing it had to hold two aircraft that I wanted to show together. The aircraft in question are Ju87G-1 and Hs 129 B2-R2. Both were used to hunt tanks in WWII, therefore I thought they would display well together.

I stained the wood and put a seal on it. Then I got some 1/8 inch wire which I cut to length after I fastened it to the wood. To fasten the wire, I drilled holes to fit and epoxied the wire in place. I then bent the wire to shape and cut it. I then used some piano wire I had around the house to form cradles for the planes. I think the wire is pretty close to .020.

I made the cradles to support the aircraft by their wings and the tail of the fuselage. I could have got by with just doing it for the wings because the tails really don't rest in the cradle any way. I made the mistake however of using the epoxy to attach the cradles to the wire. I should have used solder. The cradle for the Hs129 was able to work free within the epoxy and rotate. The Henschel hit the floor. I was able to fix it up somewhat. I then repaired the cradle by adding a cross brace which triangulates the connection of the Hs' s wing cradle and prevents rotation.

The wire cradle systems were then painted a neutral gray so as not to attract attention. Looking at the outdoor photos, I should have used a light blue. The gray does a good job indoors however. It allows your eye to seperate the aircraft from the display cradle. I think the compromise would be to repaint them for outdoor photos.

To finish the displays, I had some plaques made stating what the planes in question are. They were made at a local trophy shop.

Here is how it turned out:

The Henschel is from AMT/Ertl and the Stuka is the old Monogram stand-by. Also, there are now some really great displays out there using clear acrylic rods to support the aircraft. Even better yet, I have seen a system using magnets. I plan on looking into that!
propboy44256
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
AeroScale: 285 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 03:28 AM UTC
Nice I like it.
Wad_ware
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 537 posts
AeroScale: 437 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 10:21 AM UTC
Hi Rich
That is a great idea for making stands for aircraft.

I just might have to borrow your idea for some of mine

Thanks for sharing your idea.
Wayne
 _GOTOTOP