_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
How do i take the shine away from decals ?
MATTTOMLIN
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 431 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 04:11 PM UTC
Hey all, i am up to the stage of putting the decals on my huey frog. so far they are good, but i have seen so many other people and their aircraft with thei decals not shiny, how do i get rid of this glossy effect and make it look flat ?

thnx

matt
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 04:18 PM UTC
First., let the decals dry fully, at least a couple of hours, over night is better. Once dried, spray them with dullcoat, Tamiya and Testors both make it, along with other brands. It is flat lacquer that leaves a dead flat finish once dry. It also seals the decals on and makes them permanant. If they are not sealed in some manner, they may yellow and peal off after time. Hope this helps.
shonen_red
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 5,762 posts
AeroScale: 543 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 04:29 PM UTC
1. Apply a gloss coat over the surface.
2. Apply Microset/Microsol (optional)
3. Appy the decal
4. Apply the matt coat

Hoe this helps!
MATTTOMLIN
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 05:37 PM UTC
gee, thnx guys that answers my question 100 %, next time i am down the hobby i will buy tamiyas dull coat. i also have to get some decal softener.

anyway, thnx again guys.

matt .............PS. HOW DO I APPLY IT. DO I DO IT WITH A BRUSH OR SOMETHING ELSE ?
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 05:44 PM UTC
Dullcoat is best when applied with an airbrush or spray can. The action of the bristles from the brush may dissolve or run your decals if applied with a brush.
MATTTOMLIN
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 06:37 PM UTC
oh ok, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...... i dont have acces to an airbrsh or spray can....can you please elaborate more on the negattive effects of using a brush, beucause this is my only method available of applying it.

thnx for your help

matt
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
AeroScale: 836 posts
Posted: Friday, July 09, 2004 - 01:46 AM UTC
Matt.... Don't confuse Tamyia's Flat for a Flat Coat.
It's a Flat Base, it's made to be mixed with their gloss colors, if you just use their Flat Base- unmixed with something--- your model will turn white!!!!
You can mix Tamiya's Flat Base with their Clear coat and get a Flat coat. You can also mix it with Future which you can brush on.
Model Masters, and Polly S made an acrylic Flat Coat you can get away with brushing on, personally the Polly S brushes better..
AJLaFleche
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
AeroScale: 328 posts
Posted: Friday, July 09, 2004 - 02:07 AM UTC
Repeating Dave's advice...DO NOT USE TAMIYA'S FLAT AS A FINAL COAT. Frankly, I don't know why they even make this. A simple flat coat you apply over the paint would make more sense, since mixing it with a base color will give you a flat color you'll have to make glossy again to apply the decals.
Dullcoat in a rattle can will do for you.
Dullcoat is a laquer based product, much "hotter" than enamel or acrylic paint. Brushed over a large surface or decals, it will disolve the colors and make a mess out of your project. You can do minot touch up with a brush, like if you've had to replace a small part with superglue and there's a tiny glossy spot, but beyond that, don't brush this.
If you choose to use a brush applied flat finish, try to find Polly Scale's. Looks white in the bottle, but dries nice and flat.
MATTTOMLIN
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, July 09, 2004 - 01:59 PM UTC
man, thnx guys, i will make it my ambition to get my hands on dull coat in a rattle can.

you all have helped emmensly guys. thankyou.

matt
 _GOTOTOP