_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Hellcat Down
lestweforget
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 2,832 posts
AeroScale: 224 posts
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2004 - 07:31 PM UTC
G'day guys
Well i didnt tell you guys about my Hellcat, i dont think i did, but i was just building it as a fun side project while i made my centurion, anyway i finished painting it yesterday, and i have to say, i was very proud of this bird, even if i do say so myself i thought it was the best weathering and paint job i had ever done.
no more than 5 minutes ago mum got home, and with ehr she brought me some gloss spray on varnish.
I went out, sprayed it (to give it the shiny coat needed, and to make it easier to put the decals on) and withing a few seconds the paint began to crinkle up, and become totally ruined.
I guess this is the end of that project, im so disapointed, plus i got that kit for 5 dollars in a clearance bin in a toy shop, so it was a bargain as well!

oh well, what can ya do right?
this year has cerainly had more low points than high, as far as modelling is concerned, 3 of my dios were demolish, first my atop omaha diorama, then Welcmoem to Cambodia (which was repaired) then my Hue 1968 Diorama, which is luckily, repairable....
well just thought i would share my misfortune with you all, as it is far to much for me to have on my mind right now!
p.s. dont use spray on varnish with acrylic paints wish someone had told me that
cheers guys, thanks for reading
mikeli125
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,595 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2004 - 08:36 PM UTC
wasnt a humbrol one was it? some new tins cant be used for enamls or acyls either due to a cockup/change in the formula. May be you've put to much on to quick and the solvents have reacted with the paint a few nice light over sprays are better to do.
maybe not all is lost put some oven cleaner on the kit and use an old toothbrush to work the paint off then you can try again.
lestweforget
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2004 - 09:27 PM UTC
I actually do think i gave it too much to quickly, but, it actually dried up ok, still not the best, but not all that noticable, even when up close, I have a request, im not sure if anyone can help me, but does anyone have a spare canopy to a 1/48 Hellcat they are willing to part with? as the varnish really ate away at the one i had on it! dman, this is one helluva mess, any help is much appreciated, cheers
tek2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 156 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 06:29 AM UTC
Sorry Dave
I hope your story can be a lesson for all of us! Don't rush, and always experiment on spare parts, or a location that is hidden from view.

Remember Murphy: " Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong, and at the worst possible time!!"
Happy Modeling!
lestweforget
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 05:50 PM UTC
the thing is, i was going to use it on an old model first, just to test it, shouldve gone with that idea!
 _GOTOTOP