_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Research, Research, Research
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 880 posts
AeroScale: 654 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 04:30 AM UTC
Hi guys. To all those new model builders out there. DO YOUR RESEARCH! I'm in the middle of building my Wolfpack dio. I decided to drop the flaps on both planes. The problem is I'm going to have a simulated spinning prop on both of them. While I was reading an article in Finescale Modeller about Spitfires it stated that the pilots were fined for not having the flaps up when the engine was running because of possible damage coming from debris being blown back from the prop wash. Later this morning I was looking through one of my reference books and noticed that all the aircraft that were running had their flaps up also. I guess it was for the same reason. So I proceded to literally break off the actuators that kept the flaps down, carve out the melted pastic and modify the up actuators to fit in where the other ones were. When I first started this I was very hesitant to do so, but I was set on having spinning props so I did it anyway. I took my time and everything looks like it's going to turn out O.K. If I would have DONE MY RESEARCH this would have never happened. It seems like we learn something on each model we build, at least for me anyway. So remember you beginners out there, DO YOUR RESEARCH!. Wingman Out.
fbuis
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ain, France
KitMaker: 447 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 10:31 AM UTC
You are all right, Wingman !
I remembered to my first build model, I followed the assembly instruction of the manufacturer...
One day, by surfing on the web, I saw the pictures of the model that I built... There was something wrong !
By now, I pass more time to searching the document than building the model.
11Charlie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 926 posts
AeroScale: 31 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 04:40 PM UTC
Good advice....That's exactly why my first model after a twelve year break is something I know....Mortars....even then I still have to refer to every manual I have...a lot more scratch building than I thought, but it's a blast! The planes will have to come a bit later, after I've gotten back in the groove...

DPD1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 18 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 06:01 PM UTC
That's what's nice about the Internet now... At least you don't have to spend a fortune in books to do research.

Dave
Los Angeles, CA
-DPDP Model Accessories-
http://eje.railfan.net/dpdp/
USArmy2534
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,716 posts
AeroScale: 246 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 04:08 AM UTC
In the future, how about we say that we have a rich rookie at the controls. Don't worry, we've all taken stupid risks like that. Forcefully trying to break plastic is a very nerve racking task.
 _GOTOTOP