_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
weathering cockpits
mikeli125
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,595 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, July 16, 2004 - 02:08 AM UTC
just working on my project x entry and 1st effort at a plane so which way do you weather the cockpit I've sprayed it in RLM 66 ( humbrol 32 to me and you )
so what colour is best to use for dry brushing ect a bit of white or lighter grey? and is it worth doing a wash round the dials ect as its 1/48 scale
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Friday, July 16, 2004 - 08:58 AM UTC
Hello Mr. Maclean,

IMHO to drybrush a medium color like RLM 66 I would use a lighter gray. White seems to harsh.

Yes, I would put wash down, with a twist. Instead of black, use a very dark brown or even a very, very dark blue.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 05:51 PM UTC
IMHO, when dry brushing dark colours, such as RLM66 I would use a dark grey, something just a touch lighter than the 66, or add a touch or white to the 66. White or light grey will make to great a contrast, which gives the "sugar coating" effect. However, in well worn areas, such as the area in front of the rudder peddles and the seat I dry brush, fairly heavily, with aluminium, to show where the paint has been worn away. A wash can also help, of course you go the other way. I tend to use black for a wash on RLM 66. Rick's idea of using dark brown or blue would also work. Have fun :-)
Mal
 _GOTOTOP