Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Monofiliment antenna wire size?
steveb7039
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 21 posts
AeroScale: 4 posts
Posted: Monday, July 19, 2004 - 02:44 PM UTC
Hi, just joined the forum and I was wondering what diameter (mm or inch) monofiliment most of you use when making WWII 1/48 aircraft antenna wire? Also, do you prefer clear or smoke (or any other) color? Thanks for any help.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 02:52 AM UTC
Hi welcome to armorama
I'm not sure what size the "invisable" mending thread is that I use, but it works for me. I use the smoke coloured thread.
In my on line build of the Tamiya Spitfire Mk I, I demonstrate how I use Invisable thread to produce antenna wires. The link will take you to page 13, the invisable thread sequence starts at the bottom of the page: Page 13 Spitfire on line build.
Mal
Wad_ware
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 537 posts
AeroScale: 437 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 07:15 AM UTC
Hi and welcome from me too

Other than monofilament thread... If you have access to fly tying thread (I believe size 6) makes great antennae wire. I usually always go with the black.
The thread is super strong, super thin, really easy to work with,doesn't fray, and......whew :-) a spool of it will last for probably more aircraft than you can ever build in a lifetime

Do you have any pics in the gallery of any of your models yet? Or a site with some of your pics?
Everyone here is always interested in seeing other modelers work.

Good modeling,
Wayne

_GOTOTOP