_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Spitfire Mk.Vc
ThomasB
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Skåne, Sweden
KitMaker: 762 posts
AeroScale: 141 posts
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2002 - 11:10 PM UTC
I would like to make an Australian Spitfire Vc, and wonder about my options.

I know that Airfix has recently released a kit of this plane, but I'm not to thrilled about Airfix kits... Though I haven't tried any of their recent releases.

So, what else can I do? Any conversions to make a Vc out of Tamiyas Vb??? Or give my self a big slap and go back to tanks???

Thankful for advice!
modelcitizen62
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 326 posts
AeroScale: 273 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 02:44 AM UTC
Thomas,

Airfix recently issued its new and not-so-new 1/48 Merlin Seafire kit, which has all the parts needed to do a tropicalized Aussie Spit Vc. That original Mk. V wasn't all that bad a kit, and the new sprues that Airfix added in the Seafire release will give you a neat little model.

HTH

ThomasB
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Skåne, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 02:47 AM UTC
Ok, maybe should give it a try then.
Linz
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Australia
KitMaker: 181 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 05:38 AM UTC
For a reference site, I recommend Pacific Spitfires, which details camouflage and markings of Spitfires we operated between 1942 and 1945 in the PTO.

Articles about our Mk V Spitfires:
452SQN Spitfire Vb in Sep 41
The Supermarine Spitfire Vc and VIII in plastic scale models

I'd recommend picking up the Mk Vb kit you like best, converting it and then adding aftermarket decals. Some aftermarket parts are also avaliable to assist converting. Try Red Roo Models, specifically:

Various resin parts and
Various decals

One final possible article of use, Converting a Tamiya 1/48 Mk Vb to a tropicalised Mk Vc

If you are after references, try Understanding Royal Australian Air Force WWII Aircraft Colours from Red Roo and some of the back issues of the APMA Magazine. The best book about our Spitfires though, would have to be Spitfire, Mustang & Kittyhawk, published by Australian Aviation (PgDn once).

Cheers,
Linz
Bluefalcon47
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands
KitMaker: 255 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 04:08 AM UTC
I have recently bought this kit and the new parts comprise new wing parts, new cooling scoop, wing cannon bulges (all three styles), new four bladed prop, three styles of wing tips (the normal tips, the sharp pointed tips and clipped) and of course an arrestor hook + insert for the rear fuselage, for the Seafire option. It will leave you with a myriad of parts that can be used on other Spitfires. From what I have heard and read, the Airfix Spitfire Mk. V is *still* the most accurate one out there. Fuselage has raised panellines, but if you have some experience, it shouldn't be a problem to rescribe them, if they bother you. Also, the cockpit will need some work but with a lot of aftermarket parts out there, there's plenty of options for that. Just my 2 cents.... #:-)
ThomasB
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Skåne, Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 09:11 PM UTC
Hmmm... somehow posting here is very expencive... Have just placed an order for Airwaves conversion of Tamiyas Spit Vb into a Vc. And while I was already in the spending mood I went to HLJ and placed an order for Hasegawas coming Spitfire VIII with RAAF markings... Plus that I piced up Airfix Spit Vc at my local hobby shop yesterday.

So, I'll keep u guys posted on the progress. And maybe write something about it, but be warned, I'm as bad writer as I'm modeller...
Bluefalcon47
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands
KitMaker: 255 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 01, 2002 - 05:06 AM UTC
Sorry about that, Thomas

Sounds like you will have a lot of fun building some very nice Spitfires there.
I don't have a credit card, so I cannot order online much. Guess I should keep it that way LOL
On the other hand, I don't get to build all those great kits you're building.....
BlueBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 414 posts
AeroScale: 60 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 07:35 PM UTC
It sounds like you are looking for 1/48 scale. If 1/72 would do. Revell Germany has a Spit 5c with clipped and full length tips for the wings, and recessed panel lines. It doesn't look to bad, and the price is under $10.
vlady
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bucuresti, Romania
KitMaker: 534 posts
Posted: Friday, September 06, 2002 - 05:43 AM UTC
blue bear is right. the revell spitfire is really good. i just finished building it. :-) and it was great
 _GOTOTOP