Such a 'Dauntless' Task
Wad_ware
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 537 posts
AeroScale: 437 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 04:30 AM UTC
Hi all
I have finally started and making some progress on my Accurate Miniatures SBD5 Dauntless dive-bomber
I have the interior complete and ready to do some assembly now. But I wanted to take and post some pics before I got too far.

Here is what I have finished so far.
Wayne

newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 588 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 06:19 AM UTC
Looks great. I'm excited to see it as it comes along. Does the AM kit allow for folded wings?

Anyway, keep up posted.
Leon
ukgeoff
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,007 posts
AeroScale: 101 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 07:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Does the AM kit allow for folded wings?

No version of the SBD Dauntless was ever equipped with folding wings.
Wad_ware
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 08:21 AM UTC
Thanks Leon,
This is my first normal 1/48th kit I've built since I tackled that 1/32nd Tamiya Zero. That Zero really took a lot of time and was pretty involved in some areas with lots of small detail parts in the cockpit, tiny wires and photo etch parts, working landing gear, working flaps,,,,.etc... After all that, this kit seems like a walk in the park.
I know it can't be because I'm getting any better at it :-) :-)
This is also my first AM kit and I really like all the built in detail out of the box. The only thing I see that one might want would be some good PE harnesses...even tho I am just going to stick with the decals in this kit this time around.

As for the folded wings... no the AM kit doesn't allow for folded wings. I wouldn't have been able to tell you, but as Geoff replied above there were no versions of Dauntlesses with folded wings.

When I get to the next point worth taking some more pics I'll post some more progress.

Good modeling,
Wayne

newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 588 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 10:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Does the AM kit allow for folded wings?

No version of the SBD Dauntless was ever equipped with folding wings.

Oops. Thanks Geoff. I feel kind of stupid now.
Let's pretend I never asked.
OllieC-FWOL
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 446 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 10:26 AM UTC
Wayne, that's some expert interior painting!!!

DougMauserFa
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 48 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 11:54 AM UTC
Looking great so far...I'm also in the midst of the same build, got the halves together and got it painted, long ways to go but a great build so far.

shonen_red
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 5,762 posts
AeroScale: 543 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 05:20 PM UTC
You're SBD is better than mine! :-)
Wad_ware
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 11:02 PM UTC
Thanks OllieC
That is the magic of magnifying goggles and a teenie tiny pointed brush There is no way I could work without those goggles now. I love them
Then a little dry brushing and a good wash really gives things a little character and realism.

Doug
Your SBD is looking good
Since you are past the point...I have a question for you.
It isn't until after you glue the fuselage halves together that you insert the pilot seat and rear gunner seat from the bottom. To me that seems a little tricky. Did you have any problems with that or is it easier than it looks?

Shonen_Red
Thanks but I am sure yours is every bit as good as mine

Good modeling
Wayne
DougMauserFa
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nebraska, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 11:38 PM UTC
Adding the seats wasn't too bad, dry fit the seats first too find the glue points. It's not really clear in the instructions but will be once you test fit them.

Doug
Wad_ware
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 08:02 AM UTC
Thanks Doug,
I worked on the kit a little today and got all the interior installed along with the wings and machine gun cowling. You're right, it takes just a little bit of dry fitting and then you figure out what you need to do with the part.
The further I get along on this I do have one complaint about the AM kit. The instructions leave you guessing on the exact placement on quite a few of the parts. They show a small view of the inside of the fuselage, the part in question and an arrow pointing in the general spot for the part. The reading of the instructions sometimes give you more details but larger, more detailed illustrations would be a great help...at least for me

Good modeling,
Wayne
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Monday, July 26, 2004 - 05:08 AM UTC
Great stuff guys, a couple of very nice Dauntless' Does the AM kit have perforated dive brakes, or do they require drilling out?
Mal
Wad_ware
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, July 26, 2004 - 06:21 AM UTC
Hi Mal, Thanks for the good comment.
The dive brakes are all ready perforated so no drilling required
This is my first AM kit build so I can't really speak for any of the others, but AM appears to have not left much of anything out in detail. I do have an AM B-25 to build but have only looked a little at the trees and instructions so far but it looks the same way.
If you are interested in building a Dauntless I highly recommend the AM kit. I obviously have the SBD5 but I am sure the SBD3 is every bit as good. Most likely the same kit with whatever differences there are between the 3 and the 5.

Good Modeling,
Wayne
8)
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 04:05 AM UTC
I have the Hasegawa Dauntless and I will be drilling out the dive brakes, when I finally get around to building it. I have a couple of AM kits, they are all very good. I will be getting one of their Dauntless', but I'm after a B25 first.
Mal
LogansDad
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 938 posts
AeroScale: 109 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 04:35 AM UTC
Hey Wayne, Mal- I spotted the AM SBD 3 mis-marked at my local HobLob today for 25.00 USD rather than the regular 32! So that's 12.50 after discount plus shipping. If either of you fine gentlemen is interested I'd be happy to swing by & pick this up for you. Give me a PM if so
tazz
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,462 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 04:51 AM UTC
thats sharp. the cockpit is comeing out great.
i allways liked that color green
cant waite to see more pics
Wad_ware
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 06:42 AM UTC
Mal--
The AM B-25 kit I have is the Dolittle B-25B..obviously an early version of the bomber. It is a good looking kit. AM makes two other versions for the B-25 and both of those look like fun builds too. I am sure you have probably all ready seen it but there are some really good shots of the B-25 kit in the online builds section at the Accurate Miniatures site.

Robert -
Thanks for finding that great deal but I will pass on it. Mal might be interested tho. If not, that is a good price for yourself if you don't have one. If that is a Hobby Lobby and that kit sticks around long enough, you might even be able to pick it up half price when they have a sale on model kits again.

Chris -
Thanks, I appreciate everyones comments.

Good modeling,
Wayne
DougMauserFa
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nebraska, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 09:22 AM UTC
I got my sbd-5 at Hobby Lobby on there last 50% off sale, which they have running thios week. I'm going back to get the B-25. I got the SBD-5 for $16 and some change. Got to love those Hobby Lobby sales. I'm also eyeing the 1/48 B-1 Lancer.

Hope to get back to the SBD-5 soon. I haven't had much time. I'll be on-call for work this weekend so that gives me a good excuse to stay home and work on it.

Doug
Wad_ware
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 11:11 AM UTC
I love the Hobby Lobby sales too
I got both my AM SBD5 and the B25 half price. The Hobby Lobby in my area is pretty well stocked of most of the AM kits and I keep waiting for the next sale to correspond with when I have some money to pick more of them up. The AM Avenger looks like a very cool kit too.

Wayne
 _GOTOTOP