_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
HELP I want to find some decals
drewgimpy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 835 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 05:05 PM UTC
Hello all. I would really like to build my TBF-1c as the plane the Pres. George Bush got shot down in. The plane was called "Barbara". It was assighned to VT-51 aboard the USS San Jacinto (CVL-30). I have been doing searches but can't find anything. I know someone has to have thought about this before, its not that original of an idea. The scale I am looking for is 1/48. If you know of any decals for this PLEASE let me know
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
AeroScale: 287 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 10:24 PM UTC
Lindberg did a 1/48 reissue of their ancient Avenger with a picture of G.H.W.B. in the pilot's seat and "Barbara" under the cockpit. I remember seeing the kit on the shelves of the clearance lot stores for $4.99. He flew several and was shot down 3(?) times, so there was a Barbara, II, III. Fairly simple markings, no art to speak of.
Chief
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 498 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 10:37 PM UTC
Drew,

I have his book, and from what I remember, his aircraft was overall sea blue. The paint scheme would depend on the time of the war and the markings were specific to squadron, airwing and ship. Navy aircraft weren't painted very spectacular and still aren't. Pilots didn't always fly the same plane either, just whatever was in an "up" status. I'll do a quick check tonite and see what I can come up with in my refrence books. You may be able to print the decals you need off a computer onto plain white decal film.
drewgimpy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 835 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 05:26 PM UTC
I have a good picture of what it should look like. I was just hoping someone did some aftermarket decals for it. Most of it is in white or I would make them on my computer(can't print white). If anyone hears of some please let me know. Thanks for the info guys. I may try to track down that lindberg kit.
Envar
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 1,088 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 06:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Most of it is in white or I would make them on my computer(can't print white

While youŽre not be able to print white, printing white objects with outlines slightly bigger than the marking should do the trick. Use VERY thin outline coloured 20% black or similar as youŽll only need barely visible lines to cut the markings and you donŽt want accidental pieces of black line in the edges. If the markings are all white, try to keep the amount of printer ink in the minimum to prevent smudging while you cut.

Toni
 _GOTOTOP