_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Starting off on my Hellcat : Some idle chat!
bytepilot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Karnataka, India / भारत
KitMaker: 381 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 04:16 PM UTC
Hi all,

Will be starting off on my 1/72 Hellcat today. Just thought I'd bounce off some ideas I have on the forum..

I'd love to scratchbuild the cockpit, but since the plane looks pretty small, and I didn't get enough ref material, I'm planning to dump the idea. B'cos, the parts would be too small anyway, and I'd need hands about half my size to get that stuff in . Maybe someday when I get a 1/48 or 1/32 scale kit, I'll try out the stuff.

However, I'm planning to wire up the engine to look like the original thing(Pratt/Whitney 2800P or something). It should be fun trying to get about 30 odd teeny weeny copper wires onto that engine covering...The Academy kit also does not have those two piston holders(or whatever-cha-macallits) on the engine front side, so I'll be adding that for detail's sake.

I'm planning to give it a paint job corresponding to the Cat's mouth markings of the USS Princeton. This should give it (hopefully ) a menacing look!

Suggestions welcome. Also, this will be the first model (ever) where I'm planning to use my newly acquired airbrush/compressor setup, washes, drybrushing, etc. So wish me luck !

Well, c ya guys n gals around!

BP.
Jeepney
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Philippines
KitMaker: 1,538 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 04:53 PM UTC
Good luck BP! I see that we both have Grumman Cats on our worklist. I've built Academy's 1/72 Corsair and if your Hellcat's quality is as good as that then you're in for a lot of fun! Post in-progress pics!
 _GOTOTOP