Dauntless progress
Wad_ware
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 537 posts
AeroScale: 437 posts
Posted: Monday, August 09, 2004 - 09:38 AM UTC
Hi all
I have some progress shots of my Dauntless ASW scheme. I tried preshading but I think I over painted the top and I don't see any preshading
I know it is supposed to be a subtle effect but I think it is a non-exhistant effect Better luck next time.
The bottom of the plane I think I see the preshading. I don't know if it is my imagination or not since I know I put it there Let me know what you think...do you really see it? Also don't pay any attention to much else for I have some detailing and painting to do on the underside that isn't done yet.

I stumbled on a neat little trick that some of you might like. I tried to get a good pic of it but it didn't come out well. On my last few kits I have been experimenting with a future-wash. I found it mentioned somewhere on the internet but can't remember where to give credit where credit is due. Mainly I just use this on the interior of the plane and some of the smaller parts such as the landing gear assemblies, wheel rims..etc... I really like the look of it.
On the dauntless some of the parts are metal such as the two small bomb hangers. I airbrushed the bomb hangers steel and then let that set up really good. I mixed my acrylic black with my future to make my wash and put it on the bomb hangers. Once the wash dried these hangers really look cool. With the metallic paint and then the gloss of the future wash..along with the wash in the cracks and crevices..I swear these parts really look like metal. I don't think this would work or look right on the whole exterior of the plane but on small metal parts it really works good

Here are my progress shots...let me know what you think
Good modeling,
Wayne
8)

bilko
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 584 posts
AeroScale: 96 posts
Posted: Monday, August 09, 2004 - 06:38 PM UTC

Wad-ware

Looks good so far. It seems to me in the third picture that there is a darkening around the panel lines. At the moment your Dauyntless looks like my Avenger - AM plastic gray upper and white under surfaces. I'm noit game enough to try pre-shading yet though - I just add the panel lines in with a .4mm propelling pencil.

One question (showing my ignorance of Dauntlesses), is that a heavy panel line or a seam that needs filling on the underside of the cowling?

Brian
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 880 posts
AeroScale: 654 posts
Posted: Monday, August 09, 2004 - 09:53 PM UTC
Hi Wayne. I like the preshading on the bottom of the aircraft, looks good. Speaking of that Future wash. I was reading an article on the Hyperscale website where the author[Tony Bell] was building a Thunderbolt and he used a wash that consisted of 1/2 ounce of Future, 1/2 dozen drops each of India ink, green and Van Dyke brown. he used that on his engine parts and it looks great. I used that wash without the green on the tailwheel assembly, fuel tanks and rocket launchers for my P-47s I'm building. If you're interested in looking at that wash on those parts, I posted some photos in my gallery. I really like this wash, I don't know if I will use it on the entire plane. THANKS again to Tony Bell for the nice feature article on Hyperscale and the Future wash tip. Wane, it's great to see that you are using this wash also. By the way, I love that paint scheme, Wingman out.
Wad_ware
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 537 posts
AeroScale: 437 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 04:39 AM UTC
Thanks guys,
Things are coming along pretty well so far.
Brian - you have a good eye. That is a seam I still need to fill. I got anxious and ahead of myself and wanted to paint the main part of the scheme really bad. I still have to fill that gap but that will be no problem.

Wingman - that wash looks really good on the tanks and launchers. I LOVE your Kommodore under cover diarama. Small and simple but very nicely done and very realistic. I need to come up with some ideas and do some diaramas for my planes too. That is just as much fun (almost) as building the planes.

Good modeling,
Wayne
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 880 posts
AeroScale: 654 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 06:51 AM UTC
Wayne, THANKS for the kind comments. The first thing you want to do when starting your dio is to plan it out. Think of the story you want to tell and what you want to use to tell that story other than the model. If your doing a maintenance scene where there is alot of equipment laying around, try to even things out so it does'nt look out of balance, that will take attention away from the model. Place just enough things to tell the story. One big thing to remember when doing your dio is composition. You don't want to have any empty areas or your dio might look kind of lopsided. The biggest stage is the planning stage. Take your time and think it out, do research, look at photos in books and on the internet and ask questions. It may take some time but it's all worth it in the end. Wingman out.
saltydog
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 44 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 08:36 AM UTC
hi wayne, awesome progress friend!! i have the AM SBD-3 on the workbench........well, drying from the soak in warm soapy water and rinse, as i type this. yours i looking excellent. later.

BTW, i've seen you around the fsm forums, good to "see" a familiar face. i like this place.
 _GOTOTOP