_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
FEATURE
  Luft '46 Colours Part 4: Naval Applications
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 06:12 AM UTC
Flitzer''s back with his latest installment of his superb study of Luft ''46 camouflage possibilities. This time he focusses on Kriegsmarine fighters and strike aircraft.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
flitzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,240 posts
AeroScale: 743 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 01:49 PM UTC
Thank you Rowan for the heads up.

Process was very quick this time...well done staff....excellent work.

Part 5 will take a look at bombers, as promised....got to keep the heavy fans happy...lol.

Cheers
Peter
:-)
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 04:41 AM UTC
Cheers Peter

It's great to get positive feedback that the Support Centre system is working well.

To be fair, in dealing with submissions, I'm still trying to live up to the fantastic standard Bryan (Tin_Can) has set. Any recent hold-ups were totally down to circumstances over which Bryan had no control.

Once again, let me thank everyone for submitting new Features and Reviews - the best tribute we can pay to Bryan is to ensure the Aircraft Forum is flourishing when he's able to pick up the reins again.

All the best

Rowan
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 12:46 AM UTC
Again, nice one Peter
Mal
propboy44256
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
AeroScale: 285 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 11:42 PM UTC
Very Interseting feature. Most of the planes (jet) shown, I have NEVER heard or seen before. Did these jets actually make it to combat?
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 02:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Very Interesting feature. Most of the planes (jet) shown, I have NEVER heard or seen before. Did these jets actually make it to combat?

Hi Johnny

No, these were just "paper projects" and, to be honest the, the Me262T "Eisvogel" wasn't even that; it's something that I dreamed up in response to a question from Peter about which German jets would have made a good carrier aircraft!

The 'T is based on real designs though; it combines the nose cockpit arrangement of the Me 262 Schnellbomber and Aufklärer designs with the tail of the Me262C series, which had a Walter rocket motor in the tail. That way, the 'T would have provided good visibility for for carrier landings with a rocket-assisted take-offs.

All just speculation... but that's part of the fun!

All the best

Rowan
flitzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,240 posts
AeroScale: 743 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 03:09 PM UTC
Hi...
further to Merlin's reply, if you really want to find out about Luft 46, try a visit to www.luft46.com

If you like what you find there, be warned...you'll spend hours there as there is so much to see.
Indeed the vast majority of aircraft designs/concepts were only on paper, but some made wind tunnel models, pre production mock-ups and the like. And at the end of the war some were in final, albeit desperate, prep for actual production.

Many projects were "liberated" by the allies and some had direct influences on aviation design thereafter.
For example many believe the MiG 15 was the child of the Fw Ta183. And Bell made their own version of the Me P1101 which did fly.
Many years later NASA made an experimental aircraft that had scissor wings and it flew too.

Cheers
Peter
:-)
 _GOTOTOP