_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
FEATURE: Weathering a Spitfire
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
AeroScale: 510 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 04, 2002 - 12:31 PM UTC
I just posted Mike Still's article on weathering a Spitfire Mk Vb.

Weathering a Spitfire!

As usual if you have any feedback for Mike or general comments please leave them here.

Thanks Mike!

Cheers,
Jim
Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
AeroScale: 750 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 04, 2002 - 07:43 PM UTC
Mike,
Great article! Nice and detailed, just the way I like it! Lots of great idea's in there I can't wait to try out. Nice spit too...lol!
penpen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 04, 2002 - 08:09 PM UTC
Very nice !
Could you tell us a bit more about the way to do the separate control surfaces ?
How you separate them... how you create the leading edge... how you model the hinges...
how you place them...
Well, I'm interested in the ABC of it !

cheers !
ladymodelbuilder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,218 posts
AeroScale: 424 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 04, 2002 - 11:42 PM UTC
Hey Mike,
Like the article, too. Can't wait to see how you weather that 32 scale Bf109 G-6..... :-) :-)

modelcitizen62
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 326 posts
AeroScale: 273 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 06, 2002 - 01:37 AM UTC
Glad I didn't bore you all to death

Thanks, and I'll try to do better next time.

Penpen-- just for you . . .

I scribed repeatedly along the elevator hinge lines with the back of an X-acto No. 11 blade to separate the surfaces. I then used a Dremel tool with a small steel ball cutter to mill out the hinge recess along the back of the horizontal stabilizers, refining and enlarging that recess with a round jeweler's file.

I glued .020 styrene strip to the leading edge of the elevators, rounding that off with sanding sticks and wet-and-dry sandpaper. Dirty little secret -- I forgot to round down the leading edge of the elevator horn, but that should have been done with only a .010 plastic strip capping on that section.

The rounded elevator leading edges should then nest in the stabilizer recesses.

I also drilled matching holes in the elevator inboard ends to accept a wire torque tube such as links the elevators on the real Spitfire and many other WW II fighters.

penpen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2002 - 04:44 AM UTC
Thank you very much Mike !
Aleksander
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Poland
KitMaker: 6 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 10:12 PM UTC
I wish I could do it as good as you ! Regards! Aleksander
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 09:35 AM UTC
Hi Mike

Lovely job on a beautiful model! :-) She's a great example of tasty, restrained weathering... very nice indeed!! :-)

All the best

Rowan
Part-timer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 361 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 10:07 AM UTC
Jeez, I just got that same model in the mail today. It was going to be my next plane after the Typhoon I'm working on. I'm both inspired and intimidated by the quality of your bird. Hope mine comes out half as well. Thanks for sharing.
modelcitizen62
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2003 - 03:12 AM UTC
Thanks for the comments. It wasn't my skill as much as it was a stress-free kit that allowed me to focus on the painting and detailing instead of beating my brains out over seams and alignment.

Even though I defend a lot of older Monogram, Revell. Otaki and Airfix kits, I still appreciate a good shake-and-bake kit when it has good detail.

Since I wrote this, some issues have come to my attention regarding the hard-edge/soft-edge camouflage debate. I refer you all to Roy Sutherland's well-considered piece at [url=http://www.cooperdetails.com [/url] Look in "Roy's Rants."

Have fun building that Spit Part-timer. And it will be fun, I promise.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 13, 2003 - 06:20 AM UTC
:-) Very nice article Mike, great result. Like I always say, "you just can't have to many Spitfires" :-)
You seam to agree that Spit undercarriage and wheel wells are interior green, thats how I paint mine. Do you have a source of reference to confirm this?
Mal
SniperSoldier
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sao Paulo, Brazil
KitMaker: 1,638 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 13, 2003 - 06:36 AM UTC
HOWWWW
GREAT ARTICLE AND EXCELLENT PAINT WORK

ROBERTO
modelcitizen62
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 01:47 PM UTC
Mal,

I had to think on that one long and hard, and my brain hurts.

I went through Morgan and Shacklady's book on the Spit (all black&white photography, I might add) and i think I may have come up with some answers that may actually put my article into question. And that's not a bad thing, mind you.

Looking at what little was discernable in the book, iot appeared that Spirfire gear legs could be in aluminum lacquer or a range of tonal finishes that suggest either the gray-green primer, painting in undersurface color or maybe even a white or light gray finish. The bulk of the aluminum lacquered legs I saw seemed to be among Mk. I/ Mk. II Spits. Beyond that, it seemed harder to make a generalization.

I guess I've always figured that gear legs and gear wells were most likely to be in some kind of anti-corrosion finish. Who else can jump in this discussion with something more coherent or authoritative? #:-)
ncaan70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 13 posts
AeroScale: 11 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 02, 2010 - 06:44 AM UTC
Very interesting article and full of useful tips.I'm new to this weathering lark so this will be useful when I build my Tamiya 1/32 Spit. Nolan.
 _GOTOTOP