Hosted by Rowan Baylis
HS129 Tank Killer
propboy44256
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
AeroScale: 285 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 11:54 PM UTC
Was this a popular plane in WW2?, I see 1/48 scale version is available and was wondering a little about the plane.I never heard of it

Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
AeroScale: 287 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 02:03 AM UTC
I've got the old 1/72 scale Lindberg kit. I think the plane didn't get a whole lot of use since it would be useless unless they maintained air superiority. I doubt it would last very long if the armored ground forces had even the slightest air cover. Even the tank busting version of the Stuka carried a rear gunner.

It is a cool looking plane though.
TUCK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 49 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 02:12 AM UTC
The HS 129 came into the Luftwaffe with mixed reviews. Pilots hated the underpowerd French Knome/Rhone engines (which also had very poor serviceability) but loved the armor protection and firepower. The production Hs 129 was barely faster than the Ju 87's they replaced. However, the type proved to be able to withstand abuse, and when crews became used to the serviceability needs, effective operations began. It served almost exclusively on the Russian front, where it's tank-killing and anti-personel armament decimated russian ranks. However, if air-superiority was not the Germans, they were easy meat for fighters.

It's shining moment came during a Russian offensive where and armoured company broke thru, but was in the open. Bruno Meyer, the leader, successfully timed his attacks where one unit was in-route, another attacking, and another on-ground refueling and arming. The Russian comapny of tanks and personel were decimated, and the break-thru routed.

Tuck (luft fanatic and lover of the 129)
chip250
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,864 posts
AeroScale: 410 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 09:27 AM UTC
I liked mine a lot. It was the Hasegawa 1/48 scale one. It was a pretty easy build to. Very popular warplane, especially on the Eastern Front.

~Chip
 _GOTOTOP