Ju52 progress
Milhouse
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 15 posts
AeroScale: 12 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 09, 2004 - 06:36 PM UTC
Hi folks,

A first attempt at taking pictures of a model in progress, hope they're not too bad! This is the Revell Ju52/3m, with the Aires cockpit set. I have to say, I'm moderately happy with it. I've yet to install the seats and the gunners platform, which I'll hopefully get done this weekend. Comments/suggestions please!

brandydoguk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,495 posts
AeroScale: 643 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 09, 2004 - 09:05 PM UTC
That's looking good so far Nick, I like the faded paint look.
I really am a fan of Aries cockpit sets, they add a nice amount of detail and are good value for money.
Bus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sao Paulo, Brazil
KitMaker: 846 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, September 10, 2004 - 01:46 AM UTC
Looking good!
I have the same kit to build...Is the overall fit good?
USArmy2534
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,716 posts
AeroScale: 246 posts
Posted: Friday, September 10, 2004 - 01:52 AM UTC
If what you have done so far is any indication of the finished model, I very much look foward to a great model.

Jeff
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Friday, September 10, 2004 - 02:45 AM UTC
Hi Nick

That's looking really nice. The well-worn look is very effective.

Did the seat harness come with the Aires set, or did you have to supply your own?

Looking forward to your next update!

Rowan
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Friday, September 10, 2004 - 03:23 AM UTC
Nice one Nick, looking good. I, like Martin like Aries detail sets, for the same reasons. Can I ask you why you are only moderately happy with this set? I have the same kit and detail set waiting eagerly in the wings for your reply
Mal
Milhouse
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, September 10, 2004 - 05:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Can I ask you why you are only moderately happy with this set? I have the same kit and detail set waiting eagerly in the wings for your reply

Sorry Mal that came out wrong. The Aires set is superb, it's the finished result that I'm moderately happy with! I'm still fairly new to resin and have only just started using oils for weathering.

Quoted Text

Is the overall fit good?

So far everything is fine. I had to take quite a lot off the resin block that makes up the front of the cockpit so that the fuselage halves fit together, but that's about it.

Quoted Text

Did the seat harness come with the Aires set, or did you have to supply your own?

There is a seat harness with the set, but I have the Eduard set for this too and I used the one from that for the pilot seat. I also recommend picking up the express mask from Eduard, which makes quick work of all the windows.

The only thing I'm disappointed about with the kit is the lack of after-market decals, but I guess due to the size it's the sort of kit you only build once. The weird thing is that when I saw the Ju 52 at Duxford (see below) I was struck by how small it seemed, and yet the kit is huge!

brandydoguk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,495 posts
AeroScale: 643 posts
Posted: Friday, September 10, 2004 - 08:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The weird thing is that when I saw the Ju 52 at Duxford (see below) I was struck by how small it seemed, and yet the kit is huge!

Nick it's funny you should say that, I had a similar thought when I saw the He111 at Hendon, it seemed very small compared to how I'd imagined it to be.
USArmy2534
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 03:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nick it's funny you should say that, I had a similar thought when I saw the He111 at Hendon, it seemed very small compared to how I'd imagined it to be.

I think this applies to a lot of older military hardware. When you think of a WWII heavy bomber, we think of something huge and then look at it compared to more modern things (ie B-52, B-1, etc.), its doesn't seem so big, instead just rather cramped.

Jeff
Milhouse
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 02:07 AM UTC
Yeah I think when you see them in documentaries it's really hard to get an idea of scale. Seeing them close-up is a real eye-opener. They have the nose of a Halifax I think at the Imperial War Museum that you can walk through, it's amazing how cramped it is.

Martin, I must visit Hendon, it's on the list of things to do this winter (plus, Hannants is on the way there!). I just got a He 111 off eBay.

I'll post more pics of the Ju 52 in a couple of weeks.
USArmy2534
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 05:04 AM UTC
If you get a chance, try to squeeze through a B-17. They spared no room. The B-29 is a little more spacier but not by much.

What I feel bad for is a TBD bombadier. Most of the time (in the few battles it flew in), bombadiers weren't carried, but when they were, they sat in the middle (similar to a bombadier in a Kate) but their bomb sight was in a channel in the front of the aircraft below the pilots feet! In fact, the pilot (when not using the rudder pedals) rested his feet not on a floor, but on a pair of "tracks". The best way I can show you this is in the picture below (his station is that little window below the pilot's canopy. He laid on the floor of the plane in between the wings. In order to use the bomb sight and even just to see foward, he had to open a pair of bomb bay-style hatches (the white ones (seen in front of the leading edge of the wing root). Now that is cramped

Jeff
 _GOTOTOP