Matchbox kits???
Wad_ware
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 537 posts
AeroScale: 437 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 18, 2004 - 05:41 AM UTC
Hi all,
I have just picked up at a flea market a Matchbox 1/32 bf 109E-3 kit. I was wondering if anyone here can tell me anything about the Matchbox kits. How are they for fit and detailing etc...
The box is dated 1983. What time frame did Matchbox make kits? Just by looking at it, it seems to be a decent kit and looks like it is going to be fun to build.
I will be doing some searching around but does anyone know if there are any good aftermarket sets that would fit this model - reisin or photo-etch?

Also - the decals look pretty bad. The sheet of decals is all there but it is all kind of wrinkly and curled and rolled up on the sides. Should I trust the decals or would it be better to get a new set?
Thanks all,
Wayne
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
AeroScale: 287 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 18, 2004 - 06:02 AM UTC
Matchbox made kits in the 70s and into the 80s. They were well known for having trench-like panel lines. Their decals were notoriously thick. I would find aftermarket decals if I were you.

Another Matchbox trait was molding the model in several different color plastics. While their armor kits tended to stay in the earth tones and greens found in the boxart, their aircraft could have some vibrant colored plastic.

I built that kit in the 80s, my advice is to test fit everything. Particularly items that go inside the fuselage and need to match up when the halves are closed.
hansen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
KitMaker: 2 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 18, 2004 - 09:23 AM UTC
Wayne, the old 1/32 Matchbox kits are very decent even by today's std. The 109 fits pretty well and it is the only 109E with recessed lines. You may encounter some fit problem with the nose and cowling and you may have to shim the ammo pack with some thin plastic card to get the gun cowl to fit, with just a little elbow grease all can be solved. I made one nearly 30 years back and recently got one which is more 20 yrs old. The decals still work! Get these Matchbox kits if u can esp the Lysander. Its a gem. I tyring to look for the Sea Venom n Spitfire 22/24 which I missed 25 years back. Hope Revell will reisssue them soon!
modelcitizen62
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 326 posts
AeroScale: 273 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 18, 2004 - 09:34 AM UTC
Watch out for the Spitfire 22/24 - it is a purebred bear to build. The wings don't fit to the fillets, whicvh in turn don't fit to the fuselage, which in turn doesn't fit to the engine cowling panels. Absolutely the worst kit I've seen in 32 years of building models.

The 1/32 Matchbox Tiger Moth isn't too bad, though.
hansen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
KitMaker: 2 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 18, 2004 - 12:33 PM UTC
M/C62 - Any idea where to get a Spit22/24? Its the last of the Spits and Matchbox is d only game in town?
mossieramm
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Gelderland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 253 posts
AeroScale: 81 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 19, 2004 - 05:49 PM UTC
Airfix has done a Spit 22/24.
Ian2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 97 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 05:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi all,
I have just picked up at a flea market a Matchbox 1/32 bf 109E-3 kit. I was wondering if anyone here can tell me anything about the Matchbox kits. How are they for fit and detailing etc...
The box is dated 1983. What time frame did Matchbox make kits? Just by looking at it, it seems to be a decent kit and looks like it is going to be fun to build.
I will be doing some searching around but does anyone know if there are any good aftermarket sets that would fit this model - reisin or photo-etch?

Also - the decals look pretty bad. The sheet of decals is all there but it is all kind of wrinkly and curled and rolled up on the sides. Should I trust the decals or would it be better to get a new set?
Thanks all,
Wayne

I bought one at a toy fair about 10 years ago. It had been started (though none of the major structure had, fortunately). The engine suffered from being assembled with tube cement (remember that stuff?) but I think I managed to get it looking respectable in the end.

After getting the Fine Scale Modeller special on BoB aircraft erlier this year, I decided to go to town on this kit, within the limitations of my skills. This means that the lower cowling, the leading edge slats and flaps have been sawn out - (the plastic is quite thick and those oft-quoted panel line "trenches" make sawing quite simple.

Detail is adequate for a 25 year old model (and remember, kits back then were still primarily aimed at schoolchildren) - I think Matchbox used to study the full sized aircraft at RAF Hendon, as an acknowledgement usually appeared on the instruction sheet, so it was as accurate as the technology of the time permitted.

Note, if you plan on displaying the canopy open, then it might be best to fabricate the centre section as the kit part has two moulded in wedges to enable it to slot into place (and presumably be removed to view the interior).

Don't expect Tamiya quality detail and fit but if you like something to test your mettle, you'll find this an interesting and rewarding build.
Defcon1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 174 posts
AeroScale: 132 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 10:14 AM UTC
Hello Wayne,

I built this kit about a year ago. The fit is okay. Just minor putties. First thing, discard the decals. There are many currently available from Eagle Editions and Eagle Strike. I don't remember any aftermarket parts for the Matchbox Bf109E but you can "hot shoe" the ones made for Hasegawa. Besides the "trench" like panel lines, it builds into a nice model.

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Gal4/3501-3600/gal3518_Bf-109_Reyes/gal3518.htm

cheers,
David
05Sultan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,870 posts
AeroScale: 258 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 05:12 PM UTC
Yes,as David says above,get Eagle Strike or equivalent decals.I got peel off stickers in my kit!LOL :-) Decent looking kit,got mine on Evil Bay for a song.Revell ran kits from the Matchbox molds so if yousee AM for Revell,it should work on these.
Have fun with it!
cheers!
Ian2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 97 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 09:00 PM UTC
Just a thought.

Could the "Trench-like" panel lines have something to do with the fact that back in the olden days (;-)) painting tended to be by brush rather than airbrush; consequently the layers of paint would be thicker and the panel lines seem not so exaggerated?

At least Matchbox never covered their aircraft kits in millions of bloody rivets!
Drader
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 11:39 PM UTC
Very nice model for its day (around 1980). The only issue I had with mine was that the pieces moulded in sludge brown (like the fuselage) were less detailed and didn't fit as well as the rest.

TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 05:10 AM UTC
Hi all!

I've build ALL the Matchbox kits 25 years ago! Aircraft, Armor, Cars, Ships etc... maybe that's why I like deep panel lines and smooth surfaces without rivets now. I've build the 1/32 Bf109 E, the Tiger Moth, the Dauntless and the Lysander... but not the Spitfire.
No models did survive, may they rest in peace...

Jean-Luc
Byrden
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,233 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 06:21 AM UTC
Jean-Luc:

Do you remember any problems with the 1/32 Puma helicopter?
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 06:57 AM UTC
Hi David!

I should edit my post and write "almost ALL" Matchbox kits... :-) Sorry I never build the 1/32 Puma kit... there are few I couldn't afford to buy as I was young. Now I'm buying all the kits I couldn't have at that time! :-)
To return on topic, the Me 109E kit was my first "serious" model. I found the cockpit to be very detailled and there was even a complete engine... Because I didn't have an airbrush at that time, I remember having painted the stippled pattern on the fuselage sides with a short brush not knowing it was actually the same technique used on the real aircraft...

Jean-Luc
 _GOTOTOP