_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Stuka paint help please
generalzod
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 3,172 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, September 20, 2004 - 07:41 AM UTC
Greetings all
Today i bought the 1/72 Academy JU87G-1 Stuka What I really need help with is the camo paint scheme
It calls for RLM 65 for the bottom and RLM 70 and 71 for the top Is that the correct paint?

Also would the camo be soft edge or hard edge? Also how far up on the fuselage and wings would the RLM 65 go? What would be the best method for masking off the areas where those colors meet up?

Would it be accurate to not include the swastika?
Thanks in advance
Henk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,391 posts
AeroScale: 69 posts
Posted: Monday, September 20, 2004 - 09:53 AM UTC
Hi, I don't know about the colors, but if they give the RLM no's they are probably O.K.
I think most German plane camouflage used to be soft edge, in which case masking doesn't realy work. The way to go is an Airbrush, but in this scale you,ll need a fine nozzle.
As for the swastika, all german plane had that on the tail. I know that there has been a lot of grief about the swastika's, but as far as I'm concerned it's part of an historical model, not a political statement. The Revell BF109 I bought a few weeks ago has plenty of decals for various planes, but no swastika's. If you have them, I would at them. But that is enough of the soap box ,let's get building

Cheers
Henk
Chief
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 498 posts
Posted: Monday, September 20, 2004 - 12:14 PM UTC
General,

If you go to www.largescaleplanes.com and go to gallery, there are three 1/32 scale Stukas. If you send one of the guys there an e-mail you'll probably get some great responses. IMHO It depends on the time period. Early WWII they were Dark green and Black-green on top and light "blue" on bottom, either hard edged or soft will be accurate. Eastern front mid to late war depended on time of year and tended to be more grays than green. There are a few more people that are "in the know" on Luftwaffe schemes here.

Chief
flitzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,240 posts
AeroScale: 743 posts
Posted: Monday, September 20, 2004 - 01:56 PM UTC
Hi zod...
the scheme you mention is correct...its the standard European scheme....I think.
The splinter camo came all down the fuselage sides.

The Stuka in its many variants saw service in most theatres so the range of schemes is quite extensive.

I cobbled these as a few examples...

Hope it helps.

If you type "Stuka" in search you'll find loads or ref sites.

Good painting...
Cheers
Peter
:-)
Delbert
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,659 posts
AeroScale: 209 posts
Posted: Monday, September 20, 2004 - 07:40 PM UTC
Hey there.. i'm currently working on a HS-129 with those exact same colors RLM 65 on bottom and RLM 70 on top of 71 on the top ..

Here is a link to my attemt so far if you want to take a look at it..

HS 129 pictures in progress

The paints I used were Model Master Enamals basicly straight from the bottle and thinned a bit for airbrushing. The splinter camo as far as i know was hard edged esp during the early war period.

As for the swastika the Germans painted that on about everything they had. much like the U.S.A. or the White Star or a national flag. In model building it my opionin it is not a political statement to include it on a historicly accurate reprensentation of the time period.

my 2 cents worth. as when i started building models I had this discussion with myself over the swastika.
generalzod
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Monday, September 20, 2004 - 10:45 PM UTC
Gentlemen
Thank you for the replies and help I think what I'll do is spray the whole thing in the RLM 65 first then add the camo over it

Peter
Those color drawings are very nice On the third pic I noticed a small wire? going from the antenna? to the forward part of the tail I take it the late Stuka had those on?

No problem to add that on This will be done OOb for the most part I'll find some place for swastika markings

I just needed a break from armor models Especially indy link tracks
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 21, 2004 - 03:47 AM UTC
Yes the RLM colours you quote are correct for a G-1, which was probably fighting in Russia.
The upper surface camo is hard edge.
A swastika would always be carried

Quoted Text

In model building it my opionin it is not a political statement to include it on a historicly accurate reprensentation of the time period.

I totally agree with Delbert on this
Yes your G-1 would have the antenna wire.
Here are a couple of pics of my B-2 Trop (more pics in the gallery) It's the aircraft at the top of Flitzer's profiles.

Mal
generalzod
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 21, 2004 - 05:34 AM UTC
Mal
That is a sharp looking Stuka
flitzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,240 posts
AeroScale: 743 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 21, 2004 - 12:37 PM UTC
Hi zod...

Quoted Text

On the third pic I noticed a small wire? going from the antenna?

The antenae cable is on the upper pics too, but as I placed the pics tight the overlap has sort of hid the upper two pics.
So the cable should be on all Stujas.

WOW Mal...a little gem of a Stuke...love it.
Did you airbrush the green, or did you brush?

Cheers
Peter
:-)
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 22, 2004 - 02:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Did you airbrush the green, or did you brush?

I don't do hand painting, far to difficult I'm in the process of building another, with snake markings and then I will be doing Rudels G-2 in winter whitewash
Mal
 _GOTOTOP