_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Masking markings
Folgore
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Canada
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, August 12, 2002 - 11:46 AM UTC
This might be a kind of strange question, but how do you aircraft people mask around the fuselage to make a straight line? For example, a verticle white band across the fuselage near the tail, or a yellow engine cowl. Just taking a piece of tape and wrapping it around doesn't work for obvious reasons, but I can't think of a good method.

Nic
Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
AeroScale: 750 posts
Posted: Monday, August 12, 2002 - 01:42 PM UTC
In this example, let's say your painting a tail band.

Figure out the location of the band and then paint an area a little larger than the band using the color you want for the band. Don't worry about making it neat-just make sure it's bigger than the actual band you need.

Now, cut out your piece of masking material (tape, parafilm, whatever) and cover up the painted area where you want the band to be. You should have a little left over paint beyond the edges of the masking material-this ensures your band is the same all the way around the fuselage.

Now paint the rest of the plane in the scheme you want. When finished, remove the masking material and it will reveal a band in the first color you painted.

That make sense?
bytepilot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Karnataka, India / भारत
KitMaker: 381 posts
Posted: Monday, August 12, 2002 - 03:08 PM UTC
Hmm. that's another way of looking at it - inside out - I guess ! What I was planning to suggest was from outside in..Like, paint your camo stuff, then use masking tape or whatever to enclose your band on both sides, and paint away on the gap.

Nice tip there, Tin_Can. Thanks !

One more way I can think of is, draw thin lines using pencil(say 2H), and use liquid rubber solution to paint the mask. After painting/AB'ing, peel off the rubber, and voila! You have a pattern.

There is a three part article at IPMS Stockholm, which tells you how to paint decals and markings. Check these links out. You may find them useful:
http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2001/07/stuff_eng_tech_paintdecals1.htm
http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2001/07/stuff_eng_tech_paintdecals2.htm
http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2001/09/stuff_eng_tech_paintdecals3.htm
(Sorry, but the bbcode is not working here for me..)

Rgds,
BP.

slodder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
AeroScale: 305 posts
Posted: Monday, August 12, 2002 - 08:09 PM UTC
Folgore
There are special masking tapes that are very thin and flexible. Sorry I don't have an brand names. They bend and mold very easily and do the trick very well.
On canopy's if you have a frame molded on and want to mask it off this is what I do. I use liquid mask and mask the entire canopy with at least two coats. Then once it is thick enough I go back and carefully cut along the frame lines. Use a brand new blade and go slowly. Make sure you have your interesections cut very well. If you don't a corner could peal up and cause problems. Carefully remove the mask from the area you want to cover. I go back and touch up if neaded. Two keys - multiple coats for thickness, and let it dry well.
On masking other curves here are a few thoughts.
Tin_Can hits the mark with painting one color 'to far' then cutting back in.
If I am out of the special mask I will cut a very thin strip of regular masking tape (1/16 of an inch or so). I will carefully mask the edge line with this. Then I will go back with normal size tape and cover the rest.
If you are lucky and you have a very round shape you can get away with what I call 'loose masking'. Take a piece of paper or card stock and wrap it around the area so that just the edge is touching your kit. Tape it at the overlap and use friction and tightness to hold it in place. This is kinda like an icecream cone where the kit is the icecream sinking down into the cone of paper.

Hope it helps
ukgeoff
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,007 posts
AeroScale: 101 posts
Posted: Monday, August 12, 2002 - 09:54 PM UTC
On the occasions that I've needed to paint bands around a fuselage, I paint the band colour first. Then I use narrow strips of masking tape (Tamiya , preferably) to define the edges and fill in the middle with masking fluid. I find the narrow tape strips conform to the compound curves better
Folgore
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Canada
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Posted: Monday, August 12, 2002 - 11:09 PM UTC
Thanks a lot, guys. You've definitely answered my question.

Nic
 _GOTOTOP