_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Israel Mig-21
brakeet
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Luxembourg, Belgium
KitMaker: 26 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, August 12, 2002 - 07:54 PM UTC

An egyptian pilot defects in Israel with his Mig-21 F-13 during the sixties or seventies. It was repainted to be tested by Israel Air Force.

Where to find the colour scheme of this plane at this time ?
The Mig-21 is now in an israelian museum repainted with number 007 but it's not this scheme I want to have.

Regards
ek
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Israel
KitMaker: 17 posts
Posted: Monday, August 12, 2002 - 09:06 PM UTC
the plane was an iraqi mig-21 and it was originaly in silver color. in israel it was added with red paterns. after a while it was transfered to america for tests. when the iaf museum asked for it back the americans send a similar mig-21 but not the original and it was painted in brown and sand color. what are the colors u are interested in?

eyal
brakeet
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Luxembourg, Belgium
KitMaker: 26 posts
Posted: Monday, August 12, 2002 - 11:41 PM UTC
Afyter checking, my story concerns the defect of an Iraqi Mig21 in August 66.

Does this arplaine fly under Israel colours, before or after his loan to americans ?

I remember the scheme proposed by Hasegawa in his old 1/72 Mig-21 F-13 kit. It was brown and sand colours with red and white stripes or blue and white stripes at the top of his extrados.

Is it inspired by something real or is it just fantasy ?

I see the 3 pictures on the IDF Modelling site (2 original Iraqi metallic finish and one of the current colours with the 007 serial number)

I'm looking for something 'operational' , even only for testing time, under israeli colours.
I feel that the current scheme is just for display reasons and that he never fly with this colours

Thank you for your help
ek
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Israel
KitMaker: 17 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 13, 2002 - 01:23 AM UTC
the airplane was used for tests only and by that time it had the metalic with the red paterns scheme. i have a few pics of that but most of them are in black and white. but it's not hard to guess which is which. the brown cammo was given only for the aircraft in the museum and by that time it did'nt fly anymore. it was for display only. that's how i remember it but i can check further. today the original mig-21 is in the iaf museum after it was returned from america (because of a specific request) and it has the silver and red colors. both airplanes carry the 007 number.
 _GOTOTOP