_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Some F6F Hellcat Questions...
newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 588 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 30, 2004 - 07:54 AM UTC
This picture is from the Squadron book F6F Hellcat in action on p.31. The caption that goes with it follows it...

F6F-5 #12 is finished in glossy yellow with a flat black anti-glare panel. This Hellcat was assigned the thrill of being a target-tow aircraft for aerial gunnery practice. November 1944. (USN - Art Schoeni)

Anyway, I am intrigued by it and think I am going to try to build it. Well I am not very versed in all the particulars, so I was wondering if you could help me speculate on a few details and colors.

First, since there is a window behind the canopy is it really a -5?

Second, do you think/know how far the anti-glare black went back? From the picture it looks like it is black through the front part of the canopy (I forget what its called - sorry) and then becomes yellow. Agree/disagree??

Third, should I assume the spinner is also glossy yellow?

Fourth, Do you suppose all gears / insides of gear doors, etc are also the glossy yellow?

Finally, for right now, would the #12 be black? and do you suppose there would be any other markings on it besides the 12 and the insignias?

Thanks for any help you can give. I wish I was more knowledgeable and could come up with some of these answers by myself, but I am not and would love to do one of these more unusual hellcats!

Leon
 _GOTOTOP