_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
blackhawk-can someone identify these parts
lestweforget
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 2,832 posts
AeroScale: 224 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 06, 2004 - 04:12 PM UTC
G'day guys
just hoping someone can put names to these parts, i did make a thread similar to this a while back, but im still very confused
I need the names of those two things either side of the nose, the "dome" on the very front of the nose, and also the "dome" that is under the nose.
i hope someone can help me!
cheers!

pics is from www.specialoperations.com
USArmy2534
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,716 posts
AeroScale: 246 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 06, 2004 - 08:21 PM UTC
The "dome" under the helicopter is the FLIR turret (the horizontal dome is that radar if I remember right). The two things are Radar Warning Receiver "buttons" There are a couple of others around the helicopter. I believe you can find the specific locations (and some discriptions) in Squadron's Blackhawk Walkaround. These buttons are also found on Apaches and I think OH-58D Kiowa Warriors.

Jeff
cardinal
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Visayas, Philippines
KitMaker: 1,008 posts
AeroScale: 23 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 06, 2004 - 09:38 PM UTC
If I'm not mistaken this is an MH-60L. You could check it out here MH-60L . Hope this helps.
sgtsauer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 2,605 posts
AeroScale: 91 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 07, 2004 - 05:42 AM UTC
USNavy2534 is correct. The turret under the nose is a FLIR(Forward Looking InfraRed) turret. This system enables the aircrew to see things clearer at night by creating contrast with the heat of the objects being viewed.

The long round item sticking out the front of the nose is a low-level flight terrain imaging radar. Someone correct me if I am mistaken.

The two small "blisters" are early detection/warning systems that detect the tracking/launch of heat-seeking and/or radar guided missles.

lestweforget
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, October 08, 2004 - 07:59 PM UTC
Thanks guys, i really appreciate it, but i have heard so many different names for all these parts, could someone possibly show me pictures of...

-Aux fuel tanks

-Plume detectors

-Nose mounted Radar

-laser detectors

i need to know what these parts look like
cheers
LogansDad
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 938 posts
AeroScale: 109 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 09, 2004 - 12:58 AM UTC
Hey LWF! Well, for the most part you've got them. The plume detectors/laser detectors are the little 'spy-eye' looking deals on the nose. The're part of the countermeasure system for the A/C and detect missile launch/laser desinators directed at the helo. Nose mounted radar is the big bulge in your pic. The aux fuel tanks can take at least 2 shapes- either a large bladder that takes up the aft 1/3rd of the cargo compartment, or torpedo shapes which are slung beneath the pylons.
HTH!
RobH
lestweforget
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, October 09, 2004 - 07:43 AM UTC
G'day Robert
thanks alot for that mate, not confused anymore....BUT, is nose moutned radar both the thing under the nose and the thing in the very front..or just the very front?
cheers
phoenix-1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 629 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 09, 2004 - 08:05 AM UTC
The bulge extending horizontally from the nose is the radar while the downward vertical bulge is the FLIR.
Kyle
lestweforget
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, October 10, 2004 - 12:51 PM UTC
Thanks mate, no more help needed now guys, ive got the info i need
cheers
 _GOTOTOP